Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unrepairable PST files

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 strikematch13

strikematch13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

We have a few dozen PST's that seem to be unrecoverable.  After trying scanpst without success, I was hopeful that a 3rd party utility might be able to repair these files.  However, I have tried 4 different 3rd party PST recovery tools and all fail in some way.  Either they say "failed" or simply crash.  I may be completely out of luck, but wondering if someone has any other suggestions.  I have renamed the files, verified they are not read only, removed the "properties and personal information" as suggested from some other forums.  

More info:
- PST's were created in several different versions of Outlook over the course of many years (2003, 2007, 2010)
- PST's were stored on a 2012 server with file deduplication enabled
- PST's were backed up to tape using backup exec
- File server crashed, and PST's were restored from backup tape
- no PST that was recovered can open.  Outlook says "not a valid PST", and recovery tools act the same
- Other files that are restored work fine (executables, office files, etc)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strikematch13

strikematch13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:53 AM

On a whim I attempted to zip some of these problem PST's, and they shrank to tiny amount of their original size (1GB PST shrank to 1MB).  This means there is no actual data in these PST's.  I now need to explain this data loss to the organization.  I would strongly advise anyone using Server 2012 deduplication to do extensive testing of your backup and restore process, and consider excluding PST's from deduplication altogether.  We had done some testing, but did not exclusively test the mounting of PST's.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users