Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'USB Device Over Current Status Detected' error leading to more problems.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kiszoki

Kiszoki

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hey,

I had a problem where my PC would not display anything at all, that was narrowed down to a faulty motherboard which was replaced yesterday. After replacing it the computer started normally then gave an error, 'USB Device Over Current Status Detected' it then shut down after 15 seconds. I looked around for potential fixes and so removed the USB header from the motherboard, that still didn't fix the problem.

The next fix was to remove and re-insert the motherboard, even though this one was brand new and had only just been put in i did it anyway. Now the PC will not start up whatsoever. Everything is connected and when I press the power button there is no response, the only thing that is on is the motherboard light (it turns on once the power is connected).

I then tried all sorts of fixes for this problem, removing everything to see if the motherboard will start on its own, removing each piece of RAM to check for a faulty one. No response from the machine at all. Could it be that the motherboard has had it after 2 minutes?

The motherboard is an Asus H81M-E, I am now truly lost, any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

Dis-assembly could have led to a lost washer/insulator for one of the standoffs.  That would  cause both problems you're seeing.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:04 AM

If you got an over current warning, likely something was shorting in one of the usb ports or as mentioned above, a screw or washer may be under the board shorting. It may have caused permanent damage. It could be a usb device such as a mouse or keyboard that has a problem. I would suggest visually inspecting all of the devices that connect through usb and all of the usb ports themselves.

Edited by zingo156, 18 April 2014 - 11:38 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Kiszoki

Kiszoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Dis-assembly could have led to a lost washer/insulator for one of the standoffs.  That would  cause both problems you're seeing.

I just re-assembled it again and there is no sign of anything like that, the PC still will not start up. It is exactly the same from when it was actually turning on.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Read here:

http://www.whoho.com/2011/03/usb-device-over-current-status-detected.html

Motherboard could be fried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users