Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS Security Essentials - stops working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Geoffc

Geoffc

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

Using XP Home till the wheels fall off, I've relied on MS S E for over a year but find this last week or so that the Sec Ess program is reported every so often (1-2 hours?) as stopped.  Can apparently restart it with a click, but am I missing something? 

Is this security program surreptitiously discontinued?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:10 AM

Hello -

This is the post from Microsoft that will concern you and your XP.

Microsoft has also stopped providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP. (If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you will continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time, but this does not mean that your PC is secure because Microsoft is no longer providing security updates to help protect your PC.)

There is a topic at the top of the XP forum area that relates to the End of Support for XP.

Good Luck with your system -

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:11 AM

Microsoft will continue to provide updates to MSE signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. Knowing that, I would recommend folks just change their anti-virus protection now rather than wait.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Replacing your Anti-virus

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Geoffc

Geoffc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Thanks, folks: I still have no idea what Microsoft is doing with Security Essentials, which is probably a very good reason to change security programs.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:54 AM

I still have no idea what Microsoft is doing with Security Essentials, which is probably a very good reason to change security programs.

MPC Threat Research & Response Blog: Microsoft Extends Antimalware Support for Windows XP

Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. This does not affect the end-of-support date of Windows XP, or the supportability of Windows XP for other Microsoft products, which deliver and apply those signatures.

Microsoft Security Essentials to nag Windows XP users
A Permanent Security Warning Screen Comes to MSE 4.5 for Windows XP

#6 mixpix

mixpix

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

Geoffc,

I have used AVAST in the past & found it worked. Of course as a user, you have to be vigilant of those pesky bugger viruses, adware & any other creepy crud that wants to will its way onto your machine. It is hard to find websites with program downloads, that don't trick you into clicking another link, because it seems you are clicking the link you intend, but it is actually a camo malware site.

I have Apple too, so when it came time to incorporate iCloud, I was forced to change out XP to Win 7. Being that I needed a antivirus, & Microsoft Essentials was on hand, I opted for it. It seems to do the job for most stuff & as happens at times, if a deeper problem comes up, I come to Bleepingcomputer for help.

It doesn't seem to matter what antivirus is on, it can fail like anything else can, do to chance.

Good luck with XP. I think its days are numbered & the apocalypse will be fought on that OS as time goes on. Like a rat on a sinking ship, I would choose to jump, when the jumping is good; not when you're overhead, with cement shoes.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1709
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo i5-4210U CPU  T5750 @ 1.70gHz 2.40 GHz
Ram: 8.00 GB
system type: 64bit x-64-based processor
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/VNZNmcrsHQpEHgN51iurDWj

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:03 PM

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-Virus is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program. If you don't want to pay then I recommend avast! Free Antivirus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users