Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Failed - Security update for .NET framework

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 I have a computer...

I have a computer...

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

I have been having an issue installing an update in Windows Update for a while.

The update I am having issues with is:

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista,     and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2833941)

Download size: 15.3 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.

More information:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=296794

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

Every time I try to install it it gives me this error:

Code 643   Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

In event viewer it tells me this:

- System
    - Provider
      [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient       [ Guid] {945a8954-c147-4acd-923f-40c45405a658}
      EventID 20       Version 0       Level 2       Task 1       Opcode 13       Keywords 0x8000000000000028     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2014-04-17T19:02:10.601Z
      EventRecordID 266404       Correlation     - Execution
      [ ProcessID] 1132       [ ThreadID] 3204
      Channel System       Computer User-PC     - Security
      [ UserID] S-1-5-18
- EventData
    errorCode 0x80070643     updateTitle Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 x86 (KB2833941)     updateGuid {343E12E8-8772-4A72-9982-570122E959DB}     updateRevisionNumber 203

Now let me tell you, I have no idea what Microsoft .NET framework is and if its important or not...

I have tried SFC which did find some integrity violations and fixed them but it still didn't fix this problem.

I am wondering if I have a corrupted download of the update?

Is it possible to re-download it?

I don't know what else to do.

All other Windows updates download and install fine but this one.

I'm not sure what other information I should tell you so if you need more info then just ask.

Thanks for any help.

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit

Service pack 2

Avast Free Antivirus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Try the Fix it at Microsoft Support.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

Thanks, I will try it, but I have a question.

Is the .NET framework just some thing to make apps with...?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

This article explains it in terms which should be digestible.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Hi, I (finally) tried the Microsoft Fixit, I tried the first step which did not fix my problem, I still got Error 643.

I was hesitant to try the next step because it said "to repair the following versions: The .NET Framework 4 The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 The .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 The .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 " I do not know what version I have, but the update I am having problems with I THINK says Microsoft .NET framework 1.1 SP1 and I don't think thats listed above, so does that mean I skip that step and try step 3?

Sorry for the stupid question, since I do not know much about this (and I was a bit afraid to go to that link you sent in your second post that explains Microsoft .NET framework because I sent it to VirusTotal and it said ParetoLogic detected it as a Malware Site... ( https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/0c495016e8e621f1662b0afba18378d3de9ac5db27248b1e1135283340f794a1/analysis/1398628812/ ) But I am unsure of how accurate that is, I don't know much about computers but... thats why I'm here, right?

Thanks for helping so far though.

Edited by I have a computer..., 27 April 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:31 PM

If you scroll down to 9. you will find the download for .NET Framework 1.1, download this and then download .NET Framework 1.1 SP1.

#7 I have a computer...

I have a computer...
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

sorry for another stupid question but I wanted to try step 1 from THIS post first which is:

Go to the Add/Remove Programs control panel and attempt to repair the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems on the system

Could I try that first? Will it affect anything if I do? Because on THIS post it said to only use the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool as a last resort.

When I went into Programs and features and Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 is there BUT it didn't have a publisher or a size but the other .NET Frameworks I have installed DO, see the screenshot below.

Attached File  InstalledProgramScreenshot.jpg   104.59KB   2 downloads

Could that be a part of the problem?

Edited by I have a computer..., 28 April 2014 - 09:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users