Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My folders's icon shapeshifted into a globe and cannot be opened

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Barriselmy

Barriselmy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

Hi, i'm a computer doofus who need some help from the experts here.

So i have these folders that contain crucial data-s for my job and everything seems to be perfectly fine for it in my storage.

Apparently in the day i need it most, those files were gone without a single trace. So i search them and i found these globe-icon which i never seen before under the name of my lost folders. 

I tried to open them with no luck so i asked my friend who has more clue about computer. He told me to open the task manager to terminate something, but it was disabled by administrator. Then he asked me to open registry or something, but it was disabled too.

Help me, these are files i cannot live without!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

First of all - Welcome to BC !

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, is there any chance you could post a picture of what this globe looks like, and more importantly what screen you are in when it appears. If you can't get a screenshot ( press 'PrtScn', paste into 'Paint' or any graphics package, save as a .JPG  file ) a photo of the screen will do. Here are instructions on how to post an image :

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526405/how-to-insert-an-image/

Is this your own personal computer or is it a work one owned by the company?  It is possible that you are infected with malware, in which case this topic will be moved to the malware section, but let us try to find out what is happening first.

If at all possible post back with a picture, AND with details - make and model, OS - of your computer. If it turns out to be necessary to go into your registry I will make every effort to find an expert to advise you. Please do NOT make any changes in your registry without expert advice, it's the easiest known way of turning a perfectly good computer into a doorstop!

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users