Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

was sold a government laptop by a scammer. Can it be tracked if reformatted?.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Athletichunta

Athletichunta

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

It's from the united states department of treasury (Says this when turned on). When you turn it on it won't boot, An encryption thing comes up and it asks for password. I was just going to reformat it and just use it because I was able to get my windows 7 disk to boot just fine to be able to wipe it. It's a $450 laptop. If I reformat it is it possible for it to be tracked?. Or am I safe, Thanks. I was thinking they could find it if it signs into a wifi hotspot or something or has a gps but I don't think that's possible without software and a wiped drive. I can't be out the $400 i paid for it and I need the laptop for work. I would just like to reformat it just use it. Thanks. 

Edited by Athletichunta, 17 April 2014 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

If your are caught with that stolen laptop and convicted of buying stolen property. That will be a federal criminal conviction. You will regret the day you bought and keep that laptop. The $400 dollars is nothing compared to a  criminal conviction.

#3 Athletichunta

Athletichunta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

Its not stolen. It was lost I'm assuming. And you can't be convicted of buying stolen anyhing if you are not aware it was stolen at the time of it being purchased. I was wondering if it is safe to reformat it.

Edited by Athletichunta, 17 April 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:23 PM

If you are able to get the laptop working and the government later traces it to you there will be nothing you can do to defend yourself. You cannot say you did not know it was stolen, if it really is a stolen item, because you made the decision to format in order to use it. That will prove you knew it was likely a stolen laptop. It's up to you whether to take that chance.

Another thing to consider. What if it has Lojack for laptops? If it does, formatting will not disable Lojack.

Having said all that, we here at Bleeping Computer cannot answer your questions nor will we help you to continue using a laptop that could be stolen.
We especially don't need the US Government on our case if we did help you.

Bleeping Computer rules, which are here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/, state

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

This topic is closed.

Since you now say you assume it was lost, consider this: if it was lost and sold by someone who found it it's still theft since the finder did not turn it over to the police if he could not track down the owner.

And for the record, even if you didn't know it was stolen you can still be charged with possession of stolen property, especially if something like the Treasury Dept appears on boot up and asks for a password. If you did not know it was stolen when you got it something like that should set off warning bells for you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 April 2014 - 11:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users