Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Local-only Intranet Site: Permissions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 m1ckrz

m1ckrz

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

Hello! I recently embarked on the mission of creating an intranet site for our office. I am going to host it on our file-share server and it will be used for the following:

• access to company/employee forms
  • introduction for new employees
  • employee directory
  • training/tutorials
  • announcements

1. There are a handful of documents which are fillable pdf forms. I want people to be able to download and fill out the forms (allowing them to save and email them to our ticketing system).

2. With the above in mind, what kind of permissions do I need to set so that people can't modify the actual pages but can still download and modify the documents?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

Hmmm. So I am still working on this. I have the site hashed out and I setup the network share, but how do I allow people to access it without being able to see the actual share? Essentially I want them to be able to get on the website, download forms, read information, but I don't want them to be able to navigate to the share folder and see the raw data. They should have read-only access to the web interface/intranet but should have no access to the file-share directory.

I hope that makes sense.

#3 Bud_91

Bud_91

• Malware Response Team
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:54 PM

What web server are you running?

If I have not responded to your log in 36 hours, feel free to send me a PM.

If you would like to make a thank-you donation, please click here: btn_donate_SM.png

A.K.A. Buddierdl @ GeeksToGo.com

#4 m1ckrz

m1ckrz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

I just place it on a network share. Its only accessible on our main admin network. Looking into messing around with IIS.

#5 Jbbiolay

Jbbiolay

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

The best solution is to create the intranet through Sharepoint, connected to Active Directory.
Thus, only authenticated domain members can access it.
Best regards.

Edited by Jbbiolay, 17 July 2014 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users