Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ram 98 %

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 mikeeb101

mikeeb101

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:30 PM

task manager says my cpu is ok not much there but my physical memory is at 98% with nothing running.that being the case i cant run much of anything, i tried adware an older version so it wanted to update i said yes and poof it disappeared from the desk top and my flash drive, doink. i've read some of your other forum stuff and i'm not confident in my ability to follow directions of that type but maybe. i did pass my comptia A+ a year and a half ago and not done a thing since so i'm roughbut will try if you will

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

Please...post a screenshot of Task Manager which reflects the 98% RAM usage.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot. - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html

Louis

#3 mikeeb101

mikeeb101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

its down from 98 but still disfunctional thanks for directions on capturing this and posting it odd gotta try again

#4 mikeeb101

mikeeb101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

says cannot use that picture format on this site it was just a simle printscreen saved on paint copied the paste ; (

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

Please...read the directions and suggestions made within the link I previously posted...this will get you into the right format and allow the picture to be posted.

Louis

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:38 PM

- Some programs have the nasty habit of "occupying" over time more and more memory and NOT giving back any of it. Does Task Manager say which process(es) is/are "occupying" all that memory ? Are you able to kill that\those process(es) ?

- Install a program called CLEANMEM. The program is able to reduce memory usage (dramatically). It also can collapse the filecache (Can occupy A LOT OF memory as well).

Mod Edit:  Removed links which, IMO, make post spam - Hamluis.

(On my Win 7 Ultimate system with 4 GB, with CLEANMEM running memory usage rarely exceeds 50% any more).

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

- Some programs have the nasty habit of "occupying" over time more and more memory and NOT giving back any of it. Does Task Manager say which process(es) is/are "occupying" all that memory ? Are you able to kill that\those process(es) ?

- Install a program called CLEANMEM. The program is able to reduce memory usage (dramatically). It also can collapse the filecache (Can occupy A LOT OF memory as well).

Mod Edit:  Removed links which, IMO, make post spam - Hamluis.

(On my Win 7 Ultimate system with 4 GB, with CLEANMEM running memory usage rarely exceeds 50% any more).

Suggesting an "optimizer" utility as a solution...to an undefined cause of a problem...IMO, seems a curious approach to take, although the intent may be good.  I suggest we await the post of some system data...before making recommendations of any type.  Excess memory usage is often tied to malware, among other things...it may not necessarily be a benign scenario which the OP has.

As for any "optimizer"...I would say that it's illogical to assume that adding a program...will result in less system resources "being used"...when the simple addition of said program has placed an additional burden on the system.

Memory usage...is no indicator of a problem in itself.  Certain applications/processes (such as rendering) are likely to drive many systems into the upper limits of memory usage...dependent on how much RAM is installed and the application.  There is no magical percentage where RAM usage is supposed to fall.

The only function that RAM has..is to be used by the system.  No dividends for having more than you need, but penalties for not having enough installed.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2014 - 05:18 PM.

#9 mikeeb101

mikeeb101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:58 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6QRdrI8dARsBrH0RA3grMyV

Edited by hamluis, 20 April 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#10 mikeeb101

mikeeb101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

that my new friends was time consuming . i hope you will over look my delays in action as this poor little laptop runs very slow

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 04:14 AM

Your Win 7 64 bit system has only 1 GB of memory. No wonder your system is very slow and memory usage is > 90%. Windows now has to spend A LOT OF time reading & writing more data/info from/to your harddisk. And that slows down your system (dramatically). It also puts A LOT OF additional strain on your Harddisk.

Your system still has one more empty memory slot. I would strongly recommend to add more memory.
- (At least) Add one 1 GB memory module or
- (recommended) remove the current 1 GB memory and insert 2 modules of 2 GB each.
This depends on how much memory your system can handle (see your system documentation) and what you can afford. But I assume your system should be able to handle 4 GB.

I still would recommend to install a free program called CLEANMEM as well. Even with 2 or more GBs of memory CLEANMEM  keeps memory usage (much) lower and therefore system performance (much) higher.

Moderator Edit:  Removed link which make post appear to be spammy
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 20 April 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#12 mikeeb101

mikeeb101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

pc wintech is not free and they have notes all over site about anti virus seeing them as virus i dont need that kind of thing i have enough from my son using this computer thanks anyway

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hi Mike

I would suggest looking into more memory as that should speed things up dramatically.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#14 lti

lti

• Members
  • 593 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

That definitely isn't enough RAM. The minimum required RAM for 64-bit Windows 7 is 2GB.

#15 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:17 PM

The basic functions of CLEANMEM are free. But if you want to use ALL build-in CLEANMEM functions after a trial period of 7 days then and only then you have to buy a license key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users