Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random External HD Autoplay Popup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hawkchev

hawkchev

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:44 PM

My issue started a couple of months ago.  On a random basis, I will hear the sound your PC makes when plugging or unplugging a USB device, then my WD 1TB external hard drive Autoplay window will pop up.  I can close it and maybe a few seconds...or a few minutes later it will do it again.  Then it could go for one, two or more hours before it happens again.  Sometimes when I return to my pc, not only is the Autoplay box up, but the dialog box that is asking if I want to format my E: drive. 

After getting advice that it may be my external drive...which was a few years old...I replaced it with another WD 3TB drive and transferred my data.  I found that I still had issues.  Since I was having some other issues with my PC and planned to reformat or replace, I waited until replacing my pc and plugged in my WD 3TB drive into the new PC.  After about 3 days with the new PC, it started again...so I am stumped.

Anyone heard of this issue?  I have searched online and haven't found definitive answers.  Thanks.

Tom Hawkins

9la00k.jpg

29xswoi.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

My leading suspect would be the USB port on the computer. It might be failing or creating a loose connection.

Have you tried a different USB port.

Edited by smax013, 20 April 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#3 hawkchev

hawkchev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Have you tried a different USB port.          

I did on the last PC.  I have had this issue with two different EHD's and two different PC's...which is why I am searching for other answers. My anti-virus has scanned my drive as well.

Edited by hawkchev, 20 April 2014 - 10:05 AM.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

My first thought is that it is a faulty USB connection somewhere, whether the computer's USB, the cable, or the USB port on the drive. That thought gets undermined a little bit by the fact that you experience it with two difference drives AND two different computers. So, unless you are using the same USB cable (or using a hub), then my first thought seems less likely.

Which version of Windows is it? We could try turning off autoplay. If Windows 7, here should be directions for that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-autoplay-settings#1TC=windows-7

#5 hawkchev

hawkchev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:18 PM

Thanks, smax013.  I did find that I had a 4-port Targus USB hub that the HD was plugged into.  I removed it as it was the only thing plugged into it.  So unless I need to add more USB devices, I won't need it.  Will give it time to see if that helps...so far, so good after an hour or two.

Tom

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Thanks, smax013.  I did find that I had a 4-port Targus USB hub that the HD was plugged into.  I removed it as it was the only thing plugged into it.  So unless I need to add more USB devices, I won't need it.  Will give it time to see if that helps...so far, so good after an hour or two.

Tom

That might do it. Could be the USB hub was going bad or if the drives are bus-powered drives (i.e. no separate power cable), then maybe the USB hud was not providing enough power to the drive on a consistent basis.

Hopefully that is it.

#7 hawkchev

hawkchev
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, smax013.  I think that was it.  It's been almost 24 hours and no more pop-ups.  Thanks for the tip...

I owe you a "coffee" or something! :guitar:

Tom

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Glad to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users