Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to use files on a different partition

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:45 PM

Once again I'm way over my head.  I know you can open and modify files on a different partition in a windows computer.  The one where I worked was set up that way.   I've looked online and here for tutorials to explain it so a dummy like myself can understand and do it, til I'm crosseyed.  Thanks to  rburkartjo, and his cheesemaker thread, I'm going crazy.  I've been trying the operating systems he lists there, and making new partitions til I can decide which I want.  I currently have 3 partitions of 125GB and 87GB unallocated.  When I get all my files put back on my old XP with dual core, 2 Gh speed, and 2 GB ram I will have about 85 GB of files, mostly music and pictures, some maps, etc.  I am wanting to take about 20GB from an empty partition and put it with the unallocated, but then I will be nearly out of hard drive.  I have read where it is a good idea to keep your files on a separate partition so if your os goes down you will still have them.  I want to keep my Mint Cinnamon os and desktop, and my zorin mate os and desktop.  I have makulu, manjaro, and fedora downloaded to check out, all from that blessed cheesemaker thread, I've tried 3 others which I decided for one reason or another not to keep.  But I either need at least 125GB per partition to be useable, or to learn how to set up the computer with the files on a different partition.  By the way how many partitions can I have?  I seem to remember somewhere 4 is the limit, but I'm wrong a lot (my wife says so all the time).  Any help setting this up, or finding the information will be greatly appreciated.

I do like that thread (cheesemaker) and read it all the time, but if he comes up with another good os, I don't know what I'm gonna do, as 4 with the files on each is more than I can handle.  And I have 2 on and 3 more I want to try.  I goofed with lubuntu and erased the whole computer as it couldn't see any partitions (I think that was my problem).  When I try to install manjaro, it can only read one partition while I'm installing it, and I don't want to have to start at the beginning again.  Thanks for any help on the using files on a different partition.

•  
  •  
  •  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

Any drive can have 4 primary partitions. If you need more than that, you make one of them a logical partition and place more inside of that one. That's a hardware limitation, not linux

If you want to keep and share files between installs, when you install the first one you need to make a separate /home partition. Make it a biggie, because it's probably going to fill up fast. Make sure to write down which partition that /home is on. You can open a terminal when you boot into it the first time and type:

df

That will list all partitions. The last column will be the name (in this case you look for /home) and the first one will be the location (/dev/sd?).

It's also a good idea to make sure you get the right partition type for future installs. In case you forgot what type it is, you can get that with:

df -T

The second column shows the filesystem type. You'll have to select the right one when installing/reinstalling to make sure you don't have problems accessing it on the first boot.

When you install the next version, use the same /home partition, same filesystem type, same name. You can also reuse the same partition later when you reinstall over an old or unwanted version without reformatting it.

That is the key: DO NOT CHOOSE TO REFORMAT THE / HOME PARTITION UNLESS YOU WANT TO LOSE WHAT IS ON IT!!! Because you WILL lose everything on it if you reformat.

Now, there's one big potential problem. Once you log into one desktop, it's most likely going to set that desktop as your default type (Mate, Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE, whatever). When you log into the next installation, it's going to give you errors if the same type of desktop isn't already installed. To get around that, there will be a means to change it prior to logging in. Where that will show up will vary by what distro you choose. But all of the ones I've ever used had a selection menu somewhere around the users' login area. Usually it will be a dropdown box. Selecting "Default" will stop the errors. You need to do that with each login.

To get around that problem, one way is to install the same desktops on all of them. Most have the same ones available. The upside is you won't have to remember which one is which. The downside is you're probably playing with different distros to test different desktops. So you'd still need to change each time you login.

It also creates another problem. Not all distros install all of the same things with each desktop. For example, Lubuntu installs LXDE. You can also install LXDE on PCLinuxOS. But some things from Lubuntu won't be there in PCLinuxOS, and vice versa.

Another thing you could do is install one and install the alternatives with it. For example, install Ubuntu. Then go into Synaptic and choose Kubuntu DesktopXubuntu Deskop and Lubuntu Desktop. You can log into LXDE, XFCE and Cinnamon (or is it Mate?) at the login menu then and have almost the same thing you would have if you had installed each of those (there will still be minor differences). It would take more space than a single install, but less than 3 separate ones.

Confused yet?

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

I'll respond to the easy stuff first.  My mint has cinnamon, zorin has mate, I believe manjaro also has mate, but it hasn't been installed yet as it coulodn't see any partitions and I didn't want to wipe out everything like it did when I installed lubuntu, but kubuntu installed fine.  I haven't burned makulu yet, and not sure what is on it, or puppy and fedora which are burnt but not installed.  I haven't had trouble with different desktops so far, but haven got it set up with a home yet.  Don't know enough yet to know which desktop I like best, used cinnamon most, but mate seems ok too, and mint comes with it too.    That's what I thought I remembered on 4 partitions, but I'll try the logical ones later. I am just learning what I can mess up on computers, and not sure about the rest you said.  I have the files I've retransferred on mint and was figuring on using that as the home, but not sure what I need to do to.   Do I have to reinstall mint to make it the home partition?  I just installed the oses with the dvds, and didn't need to type in anything.  I've been trying not to have to use the terminal.  I have the partitions sda2(I think zorin), sda6 (mint), and sda 7 (I think that's empty).  I'm not sure about puppy (I probably won't install it anyway), and also not fedora, but the others are all from ubuntu and I believe ext3 for a file system.  I was figuring on just switching the oses around until I got the 1 or 2 I wanted to keep.  They all sound good when I read about them.   Do I need to reinstall mint to make it the home partition?  And then I just click on the home partition, and I can get into the files?  That's the way the computer I used at work worked, but it was set up by a tech.  I retired the end of last month, so can't ask there, and that was windows.  I guess on desktops,  at least one of them is LXDE, actually I thought zorin, manjaro, and makulu were LXDE and mate.  Guess probably not, checked too many out recently.  Have to recheck.  And I get confused whenever I try to do anything new, esp on a computer.

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

hey hang here i am going to put in my two cents. you are doing great i didnt start using linux until i was was 58 that was six years ago. make it easy on yourself. use gparted and delete all your linux partitions thanincrease to one and format to ext 4. than make sure you go to flags and use and select the boot flag. then install ubuntu 14.04 on that large partition. after you do that and get it working open a terminal and type sudo apt-get install lubuntu. and after that finishes. open the terminal and type sudo apt-get install xubuntu. that will give you three of the best to mess around with. you can access all your files while booted up in any of the distos. you will get the option to log into anyone of them when you get to the login screen. and you dont need to have a separate home partition. also you should have enough room to install the kde desktop. sudo apt-get install kde. have fun, i only have an 80 gig hard drive and have 40 gigs for win7 and 40 gigs for my ubuntu,lubuntu,xubuntu partitions and all purrs like a kitten.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

you wont be able to access window files while in linux. 

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

I don't have windows since I installed lubuntu and wiped everything off my computer.  It seemed to be the slowest distro.   If I can have them all installed together, I guess I'll try that.  I might get back tomorrow about how to do this if it doesn't work.  You walkwd me thru my first install in N0v or Dec, so I'm sure we can do it again.

#7 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

i would install xp again. some programs just wont work in linux. like chromecast, dishanywhere, and netflixs. i am alway online. and you can im me if you want. let me know how big is your total hard drive first and we can proceed.

#8 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Gotta remember to save here too I guess.   Would you prefer I IMed you?  Doesn't really matter to me.  I'm on Zorin 8 Lite now, and I've only been using it a few days.  Can't seem to find the way to do screenshots, there's nothing in accessories.  I might have to download something more since this is only the light version.  I'll check that later.  I have a 500gb, dual core, 2ghz processor, and 2gb ram systemax built with help from here and other people I know computer.   I currently have 3 partitions, my disk manager says a 150gb, 131gb, and 131 gb with 85gb free space and 2.1gb wab (I read what that was, but don't really have a grasp on it yet), oh and 1.1 mb free space (not sure where that came from, but it's not worth a lot of effort to move it yet anyway).   I have a windows 8.1 computer with all my files on, that I bought to replace this one with.   I also have a windows 7 laptop with files for working on things outside and mapping on.  It is hooked up to watch tv off now.  Then I decided to try linux.  I started trying to install around Christmas.  Took about a week with a lot of help from here.  I like mint a lot, but made the mistake of reading about more in the cheesemaker thread.  I've tried puppy, lubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, and 1 more I can't think of now.  And installed mint and zorin, I like it but still need to learn more and install more on, and have manjaro, fedora, and makulu to try yet.  I live in the mountains and don't always get good internet reception, sometimes none at all.  Sometimes I don't get the full downloads and have to redo them.  Makulu has been downloaded 5 times so far.  The last one I got 1.68gb out of 1.72 so it might be all there.    

With the partitions I have now, I get the option of which to boot into when it starts, but if I work on something in one, I can't keep the changes in the others.  I'm thinking about trying more systems too, but I don't want to keep reinstalling all my files.  You said I could have 3 systems with the way you described. Could I choose them, or are they specific ones?  So far I want to keep mint and zorin, and what I've read on makulu and manjaro, makes them sound good too.  I'm both enjoying and getting frustrated learning and picking this stuff.  Oh, can I do my mapping stuff on linux, I'm not sure if my programs will work with it?

#9 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

I went to mint and got the screenshots.

/home/mint/Pictures/Screenshot from 2014-04-18 09:53:01.png  Disk usage

/home/mint/Pictures/Screenshot from 2014-04-18 09:54:55.png  Gparted

#10 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

screen shots did not work. yes if you install ubuntu 14.04 on one of your partitions than you can also install lubuntu,xubuntu and that will give you three varia tion of ubuntu to play with. not hard . good luck. then since you win7 on a lap top . you can use the other for just linux.

#11 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

Yea this linux thing was just so I didn't have to waste this computer.  Now I'm finding I like these systems better, especially than 8 or 8.1.   And yes I saw the screenshots didn't work, downloaded kazam to zorin, tried it again, and got the same thing.  I'm still in a learning curve.  Nasty weather here today, so I played on the computer, now I'm trying to redownload makulu,  I didn't have enough on my 5th attempt.  I think for awhile I'll continue like I am trying out different operating systems.  Sort of like to keep zorin and mint.  And makulu and manjaro sound good too if I can get them on.  Thanks for the help.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

Why are you installing ? Why not try them as a live DVD/CD.

Just to upset you even more LOL have you tried Puppy Linux?

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

#13 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:40 AM

Yea, I've tried puppy, listed it above.  It's ok used it live for awhile.  It would be about third for me so far with my trials.  Just a feel I guess.  To give something a real good try, I want to install it with the programs I want on it, and have my files.   And then use it awhile.  It's hard to explain what I'm really wanting.  When I used lubuntu and it wiped the rest of the computer clean (probably from a not complete download or something), I just had a bad taste for it.  It's probably just a feeling and no fault of it's at all.  0n a similar put opposite point, I've now downloaded makulu 6 times and gonna get it right or die trying.  I live in a remote rural area with no cable, or even dsl.  Just dial up, satellite, or (can't remember what it's called . It comes over the air waves to big towers and repeated to your antennae).  It has trouble with large downloads, and makulu is 1.72gb.  My tv shows pause to restream a lot of the time on med def, a lot on high def.  As I get older, I've learned I'm very different in likes, wants, and needs from anybody else, and I'm ok with it.  Puppy is one I will consider going back to tho.

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

Thought I would add this tidbit on how to setup a share in linux to a drive on a Windows machine...

In this example, I am assuming you all know how to setup a quick and dirty file share on XP. Just create a directory on c:\share and setup a simple sharing to it read/write.

Note: remember to use sudo unless you are as root, below example as root....

From linux shell type cd /mnt and type mkdir share

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/share -o username=root /mnt/share

Unmounting a share...

umount /mnt/share

It's generally a very useful way to get files to and from. As an example of usefulness, I used this method to quickly setup a share to the XP system that Ubuntu Openvpn-AS (VM appliance) resides on. Creating the share allowed me to pull the ssl generated certificates off the Virtual Openvpn-AS once you create them.

~Technonymous

#15 heyyou325

heyyou325
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:09 AM

I've never set up a share, but used one when I used pretend to be productive.  This sounds like what I used.  Taking documents from one partition, using and or modifying them, and then they go back when closed.  Really I've only been doing this sort of thing since end of Dec.  I know nothing.  So, I'd go in terminal (I can really mess stuff up from here) and when I got to linux shell, type in  cd /mnt and type mkdir share

mount -t cifs //192.168.1.100/share -o username=root /mnt/share

I don't have XP anymore, so guessing this will work between linux products also.   On a different note, I just figured out how to use the live dvd for makulu.  You need their usuer name and password.  As I say, I know nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users