Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating my BIOS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 5chadenfreude

5chadenfreude

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Hello all

I'm usually pretty good tech wise, but I've never flashed a BIOS before so I thought I'd seek some advice from you lovely people.

2n8ontk.jpg

My question is this: on CPU Z it lists the BIOS brand as American Megatrends Inc... so am I meant to be heading there for the updates? I googled all the info in that section and didn't find much.

But... my motherboard is from asus so I looked up the model and found this page http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P6X58D+Premium&p=1&s=29

I selected my OS and there's a list of available BIOS updates.

I thought these must be the golden ticket, but I wanted to double check I'm not being a div and will brick my board if I do this.

If anyone can point me in the right direction/give me any tips on flashing this it'd be very appreciated. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:18 PM

You would use one of the bios updates from Asus website. Is there any specific reason you are updating the bios? I generally do not recommend it unless absolutely needed.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 5chadenfreude

5chadenfreude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:22 PM

You would use one of the bios updates from Asus website. Is there any specific reason you are updating the bios? I generally do not recommend it unless absolutely needed.

Cheers for the clarification.

I installed a new graphics card recently and I was recommended to look into updating my BIOS.

I haven't noticed anything up and its running ok. I know it requires me sticking a ROM file on a memstick and getting proper fiddly so if its not worth it I guess I'll leave it?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

The best old saying is: "If it isn't broken, don't fix it". I have flashed bios's before and never ran into trouble, I flashed them because of new cpu support (upgrading to a new cpu) etc. Unless it is needed I wouldn't recommend it. There is always a possibility (though very small) something could go wrong with the flash and then your board is a paper weight. If you don't have a battery back up, who knows maybe the power will go out the moment you try to flash. I guess I side with caution and stick to the above saying.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

I agree with zingo156 in that the standard advice is to only update the BIOS if you are having issues that the BIOS update is supposed to resolve.  That said I've been doing IT work professionally for darn near two decades and have only bricked one machine with a BIOS update in all that time.  Additionally advances have been made that you can now update your BIOS from inside of Windows and creating a BIOS "backup" to allow you to restore your old BIOS if something goes wrong.

After all of that updating your BIOS should be a simple upgrade if you follow the instructions provided by Asus.

Edited by RKilroy, 17 April 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#6 5chadenfreude

5chadenfreude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:11 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I won't bother with it.

Out of interest for any future updates I may make to my PC I've been reading a few pages/threads on the procedure and found this: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1

and this:  

EZ Flasher 2 seems fairly painless, anyone used it? If I update my CPU in the future etc I'll give this a whirl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users