Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with wireless adapter drivers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Drizz57

Drizz57

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

I am working on a Dell Inspiron 530 and after doing windows updates the wireless adapter is not working.  Device manager lists it as  This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Hardware ID

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_000A1028&REV_03
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&SUBSYS_000A1028
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&CC_028000
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4328&CC_0280

I have tried uninstalling, letting windows install. Ive also tried several drivers i found on the web and nothing works.  The card is in a PCI slot, onboard LAN works fine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hello, and welcom to Bleeping Computer.

According to PCIdatabase.com  This driver should work. There have been problems with Vista drivers for the Dell Broadcom chips.

After reading the Dell forum about Dell using a ASUS card for wireless I would recommend you download this driver instead.

ASUS Asus Wireless LAN PCI Adapter (Full Height), Asus Wireless LAN PCI Adapter (Half Height), v.5.10.79.7, A03
Vista Driver for ASUS WL138G-V2 Wireless LAN card  here

Note this driver is for 32bit Vista

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#3 Drizz57

Drizz57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

Thanks, been a lurker for a while.

Unfortunately that is not working, says it does not detect that hardware =(

#4 Drizz57

Drizz57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:43 PM

Ok I tried the 2nd driver you linked and that actually works, however it only brought up a wireless network in range for about 5 seconds which showed 2 bars, then it was gone.  I then kept refreshing and then nothing, might not be the right driver?

I pulled the card and the chip says its a broadcom BCM4321KFBG

Edited by Drizz57, 17 April 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:50 PM

That is the exact chip pcidatabase referenced. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager. If not then I would say that is the correct driver. You can try updating through Device Manager and try letting it find a driver on the internet. Or, there may be a driver shown in Opitonal Updates when you go to Windows Updates.Another option would to either get a USB wireless adapter or another PCI adapter with better driver support.

Edit: Did the card say ASUS on it? Does it show a model number? This seems to be a very hard chipset to find drivers for.

Make sure the external antenna is tight

Edit: I found a Dell driver for that chipset but not sure if it will work. See Description. For Vista 32bit.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=7C90P

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

How far away is the router?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users