Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound card stopped working after I unplugged my headset, then plugged it back in

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w4XUP6TUp4Es0eEVEw0B7mJ

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/FX540_Series/2905953R/2905953Rnv.shtml

(To make a long story short, I needed to test if a problem on another system was due to the headset I was using, so I unplugged the headset on my PC (which played sound normally up until then) and when I plugged the headset back in I found that I couldn't hear any sound.

So far, I have (in no particular order)

1: Checked to see if I am plugging the headset in correctly... but just to be sure the pink headed wire goes to the pink plug, and the green one goes to the green plug (same shade of green), right :P? The pink one even has a little microphone icon on it...

2: I tried removing and reseating the sound card itself

3: I checked the volume controls (although I didn't change anything, I just unplugged and replugged the headset). Volume Mixer seems okay (the volume isn't muted- HOWEVER, I have noticed that there are no green bars indicating activity whenever I play anything, which should be the case if the problem is my headset, right?).

4: Likewise, I checked to make sure the correct device is "default". It is.

5: I checked to see if somehow the default device was switched. It wasn't.

6: I checked in device manager to see if the device was somehow disabled. Nope. Likewise I checked the settings and the sound output isn't muted.

7: I uninstalled the driver for my sound card and reinstalled it.

8: I tried unplugging and replugging the headset itself (It's a turtle beach headset that needs usb power, could that somehow be playing into this? I tried switching which usb port it is plugged in to, but again, the volume mixer thing seems to indicate that the headset is not the problem).

9: I tried unplugging and replugging the little miscellaneous cable-of-mysterious-purpose that goes from my motherboard to the sound card.

10: Of course, I tried multiple sources of sound (youtube, various windows sound tests, a video).

11: Just for the hell of it, I tried the two optical ports (I have an old-but-still-functional Astro Mixamp). No go.

12: Checked in device manager. The ever-helpful device manager said (as it always has as far as I can remember, for anything and everything that has ever malfunctioned on every computer I have ever owned or worked with) that the sound card is "working properly".

13: I tried sacrificing a Ewe to Pan the goat god (not really, but I'm getting there. And yes, I know that a Ewe is a sheep, and Pan isn't--- actually we're getting off topic here :P).

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

Should I just throw my hands up and invest in one of these while it's on sale?

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

IMO jack dirty or broken or cable damage, there were no system changes.  Try the headphones in another device!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 Forbiddenone

Forbiddenone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

IMO jack dirty or broken or cable damage, there were no system changes.  Try the headphones in another device!

I tried a different headset, and I tried the PC headset on my laptop.

The former test yielded no improvement (no sound), and in the latter case, the headset worked fine on the laptop.

In any event, I don't think any of that explains why I wouldn't see any green bars (indicating activity) in the mixer though.

Oh and the card is PCI, not PCI-E, as far as I can tell.

Edited by Forbiddenone, 19 April 2014 - 01:03 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,781 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Could be incidental that the card died, but I would still check out the jack, a pin may have broken off who knows.  Looking at your possible replacement sends shivers down my spine, having a fair sized speaker within the case sounds like a bad idea.  Our stuff is somewhat sensitive to vibration, I would not want a speaker thumping away inside my tower!

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:40 PM

Having done the checks you list, especially trying the headset in a different computer, it seems a fair bet that your sound card has gone to a better place, ie died.

I think Old Phil (#4 ) has misinterpreted Sound Blasters' graphics. My interpretation is that this is just some designer got fancy, I do not think that that is a speaker drive unit mounted on the card itself. Sound Blaster make some serious sound cards, I used to have one myself until I upgraded to Win 7 and then discovered the card I had wasn't supported.

If that card meets your needs, why not treat yourself?

Chris Cosgrove

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,781 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:24 AM

You are 100% correct Googled reviews on the card there is no speaker, pretty dumb representation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users