Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error loading operating system - can't circumvent

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stonetech

stonetech

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hello -

I have two Dell optiplex 7010 desktops that came with Windows 7 pre-loaded.  The end user tried to reimage them with Ghost disks that were not formatted properly.  Consequently the reimage process failed.  The user then tried to use recovery disks, reinstallation disks and a reinstallation thumb drive but has been unsuccessful.

The boot sequence has been changed in bios to put either the cd/dvd drive or the USB drive first.  Regardless, rebooting the computer still brings up the black "Error loading operating system" screen.  He cannot go any further.

We've tried hitting F12 so that it prompts for where to boot, and even when selecting the optical or USB drive, it goes back to the same error.

Any advice on how to get past this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:24 PM

This Dell came with a factory restore partition.  Try using that.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Unfortunately, we can't get to it.  Pressing F8 doesn't bring anything up for us.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

Since this is a new computer designed for Windows 8, go into BIOS and make sure UEFI is set to Legacy. Make sure Securie Boot and Fast Boot are disabled.

http://www.404techsupport.com/2013/03/configuring-dell-uefi-bios-to-legacy-mode-to-install-windows-7/

#5 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:58 PM

Just to clarify, the only things we can do at this point:

F2 - to get in to bios settings

F12 - to bring up boot options, but choosing any boot drive will bring up "Error loading operating system". 

#6 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:01 PM

JohnC_21 - I typed my response above before I got your reply.  I will have the user try this now.

#7 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

Since this is a new computer designed for Windows 8, go into BIOS and make sure UEFI is set to Legacy. Make sure Securie Boot and Fast Boot are disabled.

http://www.404techsupport.com/2013/03/configuring-dell-uefi-bios-to-legacy-mode-to-install-windows-7/

User reports that all three settings were already set as noted above.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

If that is the case then I would think the disks and or the USB is not bootable. Can the customer try booting with the USB attached to another computer? Or try booting on another computer with the DVD disk?

Edit: I believe the F12 key also provides a diagnostic function. It may be worth a try to see if that runs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#9 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

If that is the case then I would think the disks and or the USB is not bootable. Can the customer try booting with the USB attached to another computer? Or try booting on another computer with the DVD disk?

Edit: I believe the F12 key also provides a diagnostic function. It may be worth a try to see if that runs.

Just to make sure I understand what you're saying - you want to know if the disks and/or thumb drive themselves are OK?  Yes, I created the thumb drive and tested on a computer here before sending to him (I'm all the way on the other side of the country). 

We did try diagnostics.  Nothing helpful.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:24 PM

I am at a loss on this one. I would tell the customer to make sure Fastboot or something similar is disabled in BIOS. Other than that, I would not know why he cannot boot from a USB or DVD.

The customer could set the BIOS back to default but he/she would have to make a note of what settings they had.

Kind of hard to diagnose cross-country.

Edit:  Downloading the tech guide I noticed the BIOS setting on page 42. For USB boot configuration USB is supposed to be set as default. That may have changed.

System Configuration
USB Configuration:
Enable (Boot Support, Front USB Ports, Rear
Dual USB Ports, Rear Quad USB Ports)

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 April 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#11 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:54 PM

I am at a loss on this one. I would tell the customer to make sure Fastboot or something similar is disabled in BIOS. Other than that, I would not know why he cannot boot from a USB or DVD.

The customer could set the BIOS back to default but he/she would have to make a note of what settings they had.

Kind of hard to diagnose cross-country.

Edit:  Downloading the tech guide I noticed the BIOS setting on page 42. For USB boot configuration USB is supposed to be set as default. That may have changed.

System Configuration
USB Configuration:
Enable (Boot Support, Front USB Ports, Rear
Dual USB Ports, Rear Quad USB Ports)

Thank you so much for taking the time to research this. It appears that today is my day to "stump the experts" - I also have my Sr. Network Admin pulling his hair out over another issue.  Do I get some kind of award for this???

We're going to try and create correctly formatted ghost disks and see if we can get them to work, since this was the application that caused the problem to begin with.

I will update this thread with anything I find out.

Best regards.

#12 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

You’re experiencing this problem due to some unsupported device drivers. Fire up Device Manager and remove malfunctioning, unsupported devices. This will fix-up the issue.

Uninstall Malfunctioning/ Problematic/ Incompatible Device Drivers:

1. Click the Start button, type “Device Manager” and press ENTER.

2. Click View | Show hidden devices.

3. You’ll see malfunctioning devices will have a yellow color exclamation mark in beginning.

4. Right click a malfunctioning device, select “Uninstall” option.

Check Disk for Errors:

1. Double click My Computer desktop icon.

2. Right click your system drive, for example, drive C:\

3. Select Properties.

4. Click the Tools tab, and then “Check Now” button.

5. Start the disk diagnostic process.

If the problem still persists, use a Crash-Fix.

Thank you for taking the time to respond, but we aren't able to get in to Windows.  The error comes up before it boots to anything.

Mod Edit:  Above quoted post removed as spam - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 18 April 2014 - 12:10 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 02:12 PM

I have been trying to research this but did not find too much on the problem. It seems Dell does a pre-boot check on the hardware and according to Dell if you get a "Operating System Not Found", they say to check the Hard Drive connection. The customer could check the power and data connections of the hard drive, reseating them. Then try a reboot. Dell says that if reconnecting the hard drive does not work, call Dell customer service.

#14 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

What UEFI do you have? You should be able to change the UEFI firmware to boot directly to

the ASO menu (if it supports this). If you can find it in the bios save and the hit the F12 key to change boot

order to advanced menu.

#15 stonetech

stonetech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

I have been trying to research this but did not find too much on the problem. It seems Dell does a pre-boot check on the hardware and according to Dell if you get a "Operating System Not Found", they say to check the Hard Drive connection. The customer could check the power and data connections of the hard drive, reseating them. Then try a reboot. Dell says that if reconnecting the hard drive does not work, call Dell customer service.

Thank you for spending so much time on this.  Since there are two desktops with the same issue, we didn't think it was likely, but we did go ahead and check anyway.  Our intention is to try and create new ghost disks and see if those will work.  If not, Dell will be the next step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users