Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MacBook Pro (Mac OS X) 'restart' doesn't work so can't get software updates

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 noviceny

noviceny

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

For a few months my MacBook Pro hasn't restarted when I am trying to get software updates. I get the background associated with restart but the computer doesn't restart. 'shut down' and 'start' work fine.

1. Do you know, perhaps, why this is happening?

2. Is there another way to get updates without restarting my computer?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

Generally speaking, you should be able to complete update installation by shutting down. Usually, when doing an update, it gives you the option to immediately restart or keep work and restart later. If you choose the second option and then shut down, under normal circumstances, it should finish installing the updates in my experience. If you cannot, then it might be problem with the update.

The other overall way to install updates is to manually download and install them. You can find those updates on Apple's download page. Here is the page for Mac OS X updates:

http://support.apple.com/downloads/#macos

As to why the problem is happening, it could be a corrupted update (i.e. corrupted somehow during the download), your Mac OS installation is corrupted, or maybe just some preference is corrupted.

For the first, you can try downloading the updates that the Mac OS says you need from the link above and see if they will download and install.

For #2 or #3, the first thing to try would be create another admin user account and see if the things work better there...or first logout of the current user account and then try restarting. Next you could try doing Verify/Repair Disk Permissions or the Disk itself using Disk Utility...it likely won't do much, but it is worth a try.

The ultimate option would be to re-install the Mac OS...but let's try other things before we get to that.

BTW, what version of the Mac OS are you using?

#3 noviceny

noviceny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for the numerous fixes to this problem. I have only gotten to #1, which didn't work on my computer (Mac OS X  v. 10.6.8). I've been away all day but am able now to try the other fixes. 

Thanks so much for your help. I'll have an update this weekend.

noviceny

#4 davebains

davebains

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

I have the exact same problem. Found this forum post when trying to search google for answers. I haven't been able to update anything for almost 6 months now. I'm on a 2010 macbook pro with OSX 10.6.8 as well. Most of the updates that you download directly from the apple website still force you to restart at the end of the installation process. It won't let me click out at the end window or shut down. Whenever I try to restart- manually or through the update process- my icons disappear as if it were about to restart but then it just gets stuck on the background image. If i manually shut down by holding the power button the install never completes. I literally waited 4 hours a few weeks ago to see if it would ever just load and restart on its own but it didn't work.

This is starting to drive me crazy! I noticed that Mavericks is free on the app store. Any idea if upgrading from SL to Mavericks would fix this?

To the OP (noviceny)- You haven't updated your post at all since last month so I hope that means you fixed the problem..? Any advice for me?

Thank you!

Edited by davebains, 08 May 2014 - 03:24 PM.

#5 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:48 AM

Is there any error logs for the System in Console at about the time your Mac should've restarted?

#6 xz4dxx

xz4dxx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:03 AM

Have you tried other options for restarting your Mac other than the old hold-down-the-power-button ?

Apple Menu (top left Apple Icon) / Restart

Control / Eject (may need to hold the eject button down for a few seconds for the laptop to recognise the command)

Good Luck

#7 FreeMyMac

FreeMyMac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:01 AM

I have exactly the same problem, does any body solved the problem or can help me?

I tried the normal software button in the upper left corner also terminal with reboot as root. But just nothing happens.

What works is ctrl+cmd+hardwarebutton for reboot, but that does not complete the update.

Also just pushing the shutdown button for 3-5sec shuts the mac down inelegantly.

When someone has a clue how i can solve the issue or even get a glimps of what is happening would be a huge help!

THX

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:39 AM

Try booting into Safe Mode. It might take a while so be patient. I usually hold down the keys until the login screen shows up.

#9 ogoonogo

ogoonogo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

Hi

I had similar problem, followed instructions from here for a different problem:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/126288/xcode-5-1-wont-launch-being-updated-but-already-installed

and the update/restart problem went away.

from shell:

defaults write com.apple.appstore ShowDebugMenu -bool true

which adds a debug menu to app store where you can reset application. After reset the restart button in app store started a reboot and updates then installed, everything else stayed the same so I guess its safe.

So at least in my case it was the App Store application that was causing the problem.

#10 FreeMyMac

FreeMyMac

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:24 AM

Thanks for the responds, but that certainly did not solve the problem.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far.

#11 priyagoat

priyagoat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 07 December 2014 - 12:32 PM

I also have this problem. I'm on a 2010 macbook with OSX 10.6.8 

Edited by priyagoat, 07 December 2014 - 12:32 PM.

#12 Jeff Glassman

Jeff Glassman

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:37 AM

My MacPro3,1 has a chronic problem restarting every time. I have several start up volumes, running 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, plus a couple of backups to those, on four different internal hard drives plus a bootable external hard drive. After the chime I get a grey screen and the Apple logo (and spinning gear) never appear attempting to restart on any volume. I accidentally discovered that it will restart promptly by holding down the C key immediately after the chime. Sometimes I also have to disconnect the USB cable on the face of the tower that feeds several devices until the desktop appears.

Pressing the C key is supposed to enable a "Start up from a bootable CD, DVD, or USB thumb drive (such as OS X install media)." Zapping the PRAM, AKA "Reset NVRAM", with Option-Command-P-R seemed to work just once to fix the problem, but once was all. I haven't checked under a safe boot.

Whether this kluge works for anyone else would be a most interesting piece of information.

#13 vrysmart

vrysmart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

I was having a problem rather like that, (I am currently running 10.10.1 OSX Yosemite).

What I did was went to the App Store and asked for it to redownload OSX, Y.

Which it did and it cleared up my problems. It seems that some of my DLLs were corrupted and it cleared that up.

I just have to go back and unlock the folders that I had previously unlocked.

It is a simple enough fix. Just backup any files and run an antivirus sweep first.

#14 girlguru

girlguru

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:14 AM

I fixed a computer with this same problem yesterday.  Look in the list of updates and check for an update to Apple Software Update.  Install that first.  If you see an update for Appstore, update that second.  Then try the other updates.  If that does not work, you can delete these files:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.XXX (XXX is some number)

~/Library/caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate (delete the folder)

#15 RawanGebran

RawanGebran

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:42 AM

I fixed a computer with this same problem yesterday.  Look in the list of updates and check for an update to Apple Software Update.  Install that first.  If you see an update for Appstore, update that second.  Then try the other updates.  If that does not work, you can delete these files:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.XXX (XXX is some number)
~/Library/caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate (delete the folder)

Thank you so much girlguru! I created an account on this website just to be able to post and let you know that your post helped me fix my problem. Grateful for your willingness to share how you fixed that computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users