Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure whether or not psu is good enough.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 elixx

elixx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

So I bought this underpowered second hand PC that I have been gradually upgrading.

When I saw the power supply(OCZGXS600) it said 600 watts,so I didn't think I would ever need to upgrade.I found out that it is from 2006: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/atx-psu6_5.html

and know my pc doesn't need 700w. I dont know if a modern one with lower wattage would be better.Such as a Corsair Builder Series CX 500 Watt ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit.

I will list my current specs.

GPU: Asus AMD Radeon HD 7770

CPU: Pentium Dual e2180 2GHZ

1440 p philips monitor

Razer lycosa keyboard

Logitech g500 mouse

I plan to upgrade to the Cpu to an fx8350 which is a big jump from the the ancient e2180(also have to change mobo and RAM(corsair veng 8gb))

I also am highly likely to get a second gpu and pair it with my current one and am looking from anywhere up to the £250 category for that upgrade.

So,do I need to upgrade the psu for future upgrades or is 600w from 2006 better than 500w from 2014,I really have no idea,please help.

Also if I do need a new psu please tell me which one I would need.

Thank You for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

I personally recommend having around 10-20% extra (above what 100% system load would use) when it comes to psu's. I would recommend using this calculator or a different one if you prefer: http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

If you intend to get a new psu, I would recommend a 600w or larger psu, a larger psu is a good thing for many reasons.

The psu will be more power efficient if it is not pushed to the max, pushing a psu to it's max rated wattage brings down efficiency. The power supply will only supply the power when needed so a 750w psu is not always using 750 watts.

The psu will last longer if it is not being pushed to it's limit.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

Another point PSU's working or not do degrade over time, a failure can cost you your parts and hard work.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:55 AM

The 7770 has a power draw of about 80W. The 8350 rings in at 125W. Realistically, the 600 watt you have should be fine for a few more years. Though even if you go with two 7770's, a new 500W would be sufficient. Do yourself a favor though, and buy a quality power supply. The higher the quality, the better.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users