Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vpn or similar suggestion?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kcnu

kcnu

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

Recently got help here removing a virus and malware. I am very thankful.

Would you suggest installing a type of VPN or similar when the computer is connecting in a public location? if so, what would you recommend?

thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 WhiteZero

WhiteZero

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

The only reason you'd want a VPN is to encrypt your traffic to prevent snooping from your ISP or others on the network, or simply to hide your IP address for whatever reason. VPN itself isn't a security measure in regards to preventing viruses and malware.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:21 PM

A virtual private network (VPN) essentially extends a private network across a public network (Internet) and enables a computer to send and receive data across a public network as if it were directly connected to the private network. VPNs provide security by the use of tunneling protocols, encryption and authenticated remote access. A VPN helps to protect you from identity theft, hides your IP address, and allows you to secure your transmitted data, financial transactions and personal information while online.Note: avast! users can purchase avast! SecureLine VPN which is an add-on to secure any public WiFi and anonymize your browsing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:33 AM

Conn

Would you suggest installing a type of VPN or similar when the computer is connecting in a public location?

You mean connecting to unsecured, public WiFi? If you are accessing (web) services with confidential data and/or credentials, and they are not pure HTTPS, then yes.

But it is even more important to configure your firewall correctly when connecting to public WiFi: close all ports.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Per Didier Stevens' suggestion, you may find these links helpful.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:01 AM

I'd recommend VPNArea at bestvpnservice.com you can read VPNArea review its a great vpn who offer quality features and secure protocols which help you to secure access on internet home or public location... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users