Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop stuck on "repairing disk errors"

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lbai0002

lbai0002

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:46 AM

I dropped my laptop yesterday , and when I turned it back on, it restarted immediately.  It was still running when I dropped it.  After it restarted, it showed a back screen saying "Repairing disk errors. This might take more than an hour to complete."  I left it overnight, and it's still been showing that screen.  Is my computer still salvageable?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:13 AM

It depends on what you mean by salvageable.  Sound like at a minimum your hard drive will need to be replaced.  You might be able to pull data off of the drive, but I don't think you'll be running Windows from it.

#3 lbai0002

lbai0002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Thank you for the response.  So, besides replacing my hard drive, what should I do?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Until you replace the hard drive you won't be able to do much as you'll have to be able to boot the system in order to see what is working and what isn't working.  I take it that the screen is still fine.  If that is the case replacing the hard drive and reinstalling your operating system may be all you need to do.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Now days almost all manufacturers include a System Recovery or Factory Recovery partition.  For this reason they don't supply a installation disc with the computer.  You are going to need a Windows 8 installation disc and will need to go to the manufacturer's website to download the drivers for the computer.  You can download a ISO image at Window Eight Forums.  You will need to burn this to a DVD disc.

If the computer you use to burn the disc has Windows 7 or Windows 8 you can use the instruction below to burn the disc.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this application.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Dick burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

If this computer is running Vista or a earlier version you can use the instructions below.

To burn a ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable CD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Edited by dc3, 17 April 2014 - 12:37 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 lbai0002

lbai0002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thank you, Arachibutyrophobia!  I assume this is after I replace my hard drive?

When I use the Windows 8 installation disc that I burn, I'll need a product key, but Windows 8 came pre-installed on my computer.  Since the product key isn't on a sticker on my laptop, how do I figure out what it is?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:22 PM

Firstly, there is no ISO download at Windows 8 Forums, at least not at the link provided by dc3.  Furthermore, since Windows 8/8.1 came pre-installed it is an OEM copy.  What this means is you cannot download a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO because an OEM key won't be accepted.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 29,991 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

1)  Firstly, there is no ISO download at Windows 8 Forums, at least not at the link provided by dc3.  

2)  Furthermore, since Windows 8/8.1 came pre-installed it is an OEM copy.  What this means is you cannot download a Windows 8 or 8.1 ISO because an OEM key won't be accepted.

1)  I had been told by a reliable source that it is available at website I suggested, but it seems that finding this means of downloading the ISO image is convoluted at best.  So here's another site which provides ISOs for Windows 8 Pro, 32-bit and 64-bit.

2)  The problem is even worse than that.  The product key is embedded in the BIOS/UEFI,  so far I haven't been able to find any way  to retrieve the entire code.  You can use the SLMgr.vbs (Windows Software Licensing Management Tool) from the Elevated Command Prompt, but it will only allow you to see the last four characters of the product key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users