Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems I Had Signing Up for a Service Online

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:21 AM

I am looking for an explanation of a very frustrating experience I recently experienced.

I tried signing up with SmugMug, an onine photo gallery site.  I created an account and had a 14 day trial period.  A few days after signing up with an account, I tried to sign up for a paid account.  I went through the procedure, picked a plan and then went to a page for the payment.  I filled it out, including my credit card information, and when I hit the next button, I was stuck on the earlier sign-up-pick-a-plan page.  Since then I have been unable to sign up because the sign up option buttons are disabled.

Here is what I did since then.

I cleared the cache.  No change.

I tried signing up from another computer, different location.  The option buttons were disabled.

I opened a second account (different email) with SmugMug (on the original computer I signed up with) and the buttons were still disabled.

I wrote to the technical help a number of times and only receive an initial response.  They claim they sent me at least three responses that I never got.

I am using Windows 7.  Firefox is my briower and I have a few add-ons, NoScripts and AdBlock Plus.  When I first tried to sign up for a paid account, I didn't notice but NoScripts was blocking some features on that page.  I signed in again with both these add-ons turned off and still could not buy a plan.

SmugMug has no idea what's going on.  They keep sending me links for how to sign up, which I know how to do, so whatever the problem, they have no answer.

I am concerned if their site might not be secure and someone captured my credit card information and is intercepting the emails that SmugMug sends me.  I can get through to them when I send a msg through their help system, but have not been getting replies they make to my emails. 

Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

Whenever I have an issue like this I just switch over to IE to get the work done.  Since you know what site you are going to, and obviously trust them, use IE and sign up, then use Firefox to use the account.  Somethings just don't work with some configurations.  Unless you absolutely need to know it usually isn't worth the time or effort to determine the root cause.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:09 PM

Whenever I have an issue like this I just switch over to IE to get the work done.  Since you know what site you are going to, and obviously trust them, use IE and sign up, then use Firefox to use the account.  Somethings just don't work with some configurations.  Unless you absolutely need to know it usually isn't worth the time or effort to determine the root cause.

I concur.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

I agree as well, except for this one thing.  Well, two.  One is I've sent my credit card information to them (or whevever it might have ended up) and that is a concern.  And the other is my ability to communicate with this company.  I use Firefox exclusively and if I should have need of help in the future, having to communicate with them via IE ain't right.  Maybe it won't be like that if I signed up, but maybe it will and by the time I find out which is true, it would be too late. 

Using IE is definitely a quick fix but perhaps not the wisest.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,592 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

There are other alternatives besides IE.BTW, you indicated writing to technical help folks...are they the same as Emailing The SmugMug Help Desk?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users