Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP issue - Booting fails except in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andy_viking

Andy_viking

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Hi.

Yesterday my machine froze and I had to so a power off restart. Since then it will freeze during boot up, not always in the same place. Sometimes at the login screen, sometimes gets as far as loading the desktop, but it freezes every time.

If it gets as far as the desktop I am able to press alt-ctrl-delete and then click Task Manager but at this point the start menu and taskbar disappear.

System restore fails. I have also noticed that nothing seems to be being written to event logs.

If I do a diagnostic startup so that no services are running the system will boot into normal mode.

Works satisfactorily in Safe Mode.

Spec is HP dx2400 PC, Intel Core 2 duo E7400 processor, 3.25GB ram, running XPSP3.

Thsi is very similar to a problem I had last year:- http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516204/windows-xp-programs-will-only-work-in-safe-mode/

Perhaps foolishly, I have run the windows repair software from tweaking.com and it has made no difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I need to move on to Windows 7 but this machine runs legacy software which will not work in W7 even in xp mode. I will make it an 'offline' workstation once the error is fixed.

Many thanks,

Andy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoeyBobby

JoeyBobby

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

Andy,

If your machine has Microsoft Security Essentials, this looks like your issue:

http://hothardware.com/News/Coincidence-Or-Accident-Microsoft-Security-Essentials-Bug-Rendering-XP-Machines-Hamstrung-Like-A-Virus/

I have a friend who has 3 different machines where it is happening as well.

#3 Andy_viking

Andy_viking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

Interesting.

I am running MSE. I have just uninstalled in and gone back to Avast. Had a few issues with rebooting after installation but now it has gone through a full power cycle it seems to be up and running without issues, seems generally more sprightly too. Lets see what happens Tuesday morning.....

Have a happy Easter weekend one and all!

#4 Andy_viking

Andy_viking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:10 AM

Having got rid of MSE all seems well.................

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users