Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use 1066 ram in a 1333 slot.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:41 AM

Can I use 1066MHz RAM in a slot that's only supports 1333MHz or 1600MHz RAM?

I'm looking to upgrade and have to re-use my current RAM.

This is the board, in case it matters.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4566#sp

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

no, RAM is mostly compatible in the other direction (faster RAM to slower slot). i use pc3-128xx sticks in pc3-106xx slots successfully. that mobo won't interpret pc3-106xx RAM from what i see.

Edited by synergy513, 17 April 2014 - 06:12 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:02 PM

Bite the bullet and buy a single 4g, you can bump up when you get ahead.

Edited by OldPhil, 17 April 2014 - 02:28 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:54 PM

That sucks. Hey the RAM I have is OC'er RAM (I think). So if I got a Z78 motherboard for like 20$ more could I just overclock it to meet the requirement or does it need to be 1333 base clock to even recognize it?

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

This is weird. I just physically checked the RAM to see if it was OC-able. However when I pulled it out the label reads "PC3 10666 9-9-9 @1.65V" . Just weird voltage but other then that 1066 right? I looked at the PN though and it was "OCZ3G1333LV12GS", so the PN says it's 1333MHz (I swear if someone gives me flack about using OCZ.... I got it for free ok). It WAS a 12GB set of 6 (was on a sever socket board with triple channel)  but 2 of the sticks died along with the slots they were in -.- .

I checked the supported RAM list for the board and it lists "OCZ3G1333LV8GK",  that I think is just the 8 GB 2 stick set of the same RAM. That might mean the only reason it doesn't list my RAM is because the board only has 4 slots instead of the 6 it would normally need? I also checked the OCZ3G1333LV8GK and it's label reads the same. With "PC3 10666 9-9-9 @1.65V" listed as it's main but again with the 1333 listed in the PN.

Ok, so why doesn't my current board run it at 1333 then? I checked my bios and told it to "force" 1333 anyways (modded unlocked bios- no OC options but other fancy options are), I booted up and it still runs at 1066. So I rebooted and set it back to 1066. 

Stuff is getting weeeeeiiirrrrdddd.

OH OH OH picture time.

ceJxUS5Yp74Oc.jpg

myRAM_zpsd75c8b80.jpg

Will it work you think guys? I'll email Gigabyte if I have to but I think it will.

Edited by SEANIA, 17 April 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

I think it's 1333mhz RAM you have there, not 1066mhz.  PC3-10600 (or with some makers, PC3-10666) is also known as DDR3-1333.  The name "PC3-10666" refers to the peak transfer speed of 10666 Mb/s with this type of memory.  In the same way, DDR3-1600 is also known as "PC3-12800".  It's highly confusing, but what can you do :)

http://www.crucial.com/support/memory_speeds.aspx

However, I am led to believe that Haswell processors do not support 1.65v memory.  Or at the very least, it is not recommended to use 1.65v memory with them.  Most current memory of that speed needs just 1.5v, with low voltage modules (1.35v) and ultra low voltage (1.25v) also being available.  Therefore, you would IMO be better off getting new memory anyway.

Edited by jonuk76, 17 April 2014 - 03:35 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 SEANIA

SEANIA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

I think it's 1333mhz RAM you have there, not 1066mhz.  PC3-10600 (or with some makers, PC3-10666) is also known as DDR3-1333.  The name "PC3-10666" refers to the peak transfer speed of 10666 Mb/s with this type of memory.  In the same way, DDR3-1600 is also known as "PC3-12800".  It's highly confusing, but what can you do :)

YAY, you learn something new every day :D

However, I am led to believe that Haswell processors do not support 1.65v memory.  Or at the very least, it is not recommended to use 1.65v memory with them.  Most current memory of that speed needs just 1.5v, with low voltage modules (1.35v) and ultra low voltage (1.25v) also being available.  Therefore, you would IMO be better off getting new memory anyway.

It should run it, the board says it supports the other stick that also runs at 1.65v. Plus I don't have another choice but to re-use the RAM for.....reasons. OCZ kind of has jacked up voltages (everything really) for their RAM..... I know a lot of board makers had to make adjustments to their stuff just for OCZ RAM so people would stop complaining about their new board being "broken" since the RAM would fry it or cause it to crash. Good thing they stopped making RAM.

I guess my current board just won't do the 1.6V so it clocked it down a peg so it could run it XD

You're very helpful, so much knowledge.....

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

No worries :)  In my experience most of the 1.65v stuff works at lower voltages, but not necessarily at the best speed or timings they advertise.  There will most probably be 'safe' timings that work at 1.5v encoded into the SPD chip (this is what the BIOS reads to set default memory timings when you first set up the PC).  You then had the option to up the voltage and set more aggressive timings manually. 

Using programs like CPU-z you can see what the SPD timings are.  For example here is what the SPD chip shows in my current PC (I am using Kingston DDR3-1600 @ 1.65v).  Note the SPD only identifies it as 1333mhz/1.5v memory. Basically to run it at 1600mhz it needs to be manually overclocked and have the voltage increased to 1.65v.

B9xHBFA.png

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users