Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Puter froze now blue screen!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Susanherna

Susanherna

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

My computer froze while I was online and I had to try to restart. It was restarting and I got the message that MsMpEng.exe did not start and would have to be started manually. But, the puter did not finish restarting. I had to shut it down and restart in safe mode. I am in safe mode right now. I did a search to find that file. It has something to do with Microsoft SecurityEssentials. I tried to start it manually and got the message that a device was not working. Everything that is normally working when I start my puter is on! What could be the problem? I really need help!

I tried system restore and still get the blue screen when restarting.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

How did you go about starting it manually ?

Do you use MSE (microsoft security essentials)

Click on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/531360/puter-froze-now-blue-screen/# to follow this topic....emails will then be sent to your Inbox immediately a new reply is received.

Edited by Condobloke, 17 April 2014 - 01:17 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 Susanherna

Susanherna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 01:39 AM

The problem seems to have corrected itself. I restarted a few minutes ago and it started normally. It was a little slow.  MSE is still not doing right. I am going to install another free program and uninstall it. 

Edited by Susanherna, 17 April 2014 - 01:41 AM.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:47 AM

Take note of slow downs in performance, any problems with uninstalling MSE, and problems installing whichever AV you choose to install.....

Free AV's include Avast,    http://www.avast.com/en-au/index

Avirs     http://www.avira.com/en/download/product/avira-free-antivirus

I would team one of these with MalwareBytes            http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/    

Edited by Condobloke, 17 April 2014 - 02:49 AM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:57 AM

There has been several posters reporting issues with MSE on XP as of the last week. This isn't good, as these OS's needs protection more than ever.

Fortunately, there's a few good free choices. I agree with Condobloke, MBAM is a great option to use alongside whichever you choose.

Most all of the good choices will protect better than MSE anyway.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users