Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 mandatory updates

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

Just wondering where to retrieve the update/'s MS said that we must have or we will no longer be receiving anymore Security updates? I was always under the impression when my computer received automatic updates that would include any major updates. Just did a History search of my computer and even though I check it daily (system says found updates will install automatically) it looks as though nothing may be going in. The following are the latest dates that appear in my update History.

Would appreciate any thoughts. Does it look as though nothing is being added especially "Major" updates?

Just wanted to add. My PC (desktop) is fairly new, came with W8 pre-installed.

When I check for updates my system says they will be done automatically. Here are what I am seeing. 11-25-2013 ... Intel Corp Driver Update (Graphics) every time this updated attempted it comes up FAILED.

Definition update for Windows Defender - KB2267602 Definition 1.163.487.0 Successfully (11-24-2013)

Someone must have tried to install these required updates. Where can they be found if they are not automatically installed?

Edited by ocean77, 17 April 2014 - 03:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:26 AM

Hey there,

Where did Microsoft post about this?

Also the update that failed is an Intel graphics update not a Windows update, this may be a driver update or I might be wrong.

Usually on Windows 8/8.1 if there's an update it'll download them automatically and install them during shut down or over a period of 3 days.

So when you go to shut down it will say "Shut down and update". If you are getting this then your updates are fine.

Darktune

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

@ocean77,

I suppose you are referring to what is reported here and other tech sites.  Firstly, this is applicable to Window 8.1 not Windows 8.  Therefore if your computer came with Windows 8 (as you said) then you will not get this update.  Furthermore, you have until January 12, 2016 to upgrade to Windows 8.1.  To upgrade to Windows 8.1 you must do so via the Windows Store.  Once you have upgraded and Windows Update set to automatic (which is the default) you should receive all updates including the one mentioned in my first link.

#4 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:13 PM

Yes that is the article I was referring to. A couple months ago I did upgrade to 8.1 so I am not sure if I am set. I.m going to try and attach screenshot of my system properties for you to take a look at.

Attached Files

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:22 PM

Try running Microsoft's Update Readiness Tool.

let us know if this resolves your update problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:13 PM

Try running Microsoft's Update Readiness Tool.

let us know if this resolves your update problem.

It doesn't have an option for Windows 8, should I run it for Windows 7 64 Bit?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

No, you don't want to use the Windows 7 version.

It seems that there isn't a download for the Update Readiness Tool for Windows 8, but this can be accomplished by using two commands.

Go to Search and type ind cmd, on the left side of the screen you will see Command Prompt under Apps, right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens type or copy and paste the following command, then press Enter.  This could take 15 or more minutes to complete.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

Repeat this with the second command.

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

When both of the commands are finished type in exit and then press Enter

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:34 PM

I'd like to share a screen shot of some updates I did manually. Auto did not seem to be working so I went in and took a shot. I selected 2 updates and this what I saw when I did a history check.

Attached Files

#9 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

According to your screenshot you have KB2919355 installed.  That is the update which is required in order to get future updates so you have no worries there.  As for the issue of Windows Update not working I think you should follow dc3's advice and run those 2 commands and see if it fixes the problem.

#10 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thank you Agouti I will follow up with what dc3 has posted. Thank you dc3 I'm going to try and put this process through. Have a Blessed weekend everyone.

#11 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

I ran both commands and they both came up 100% successful. Thank you so much for your help.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

:thumbup2:  Glad it worked.

#13 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:08 AM

Thank you dc3. I was just heading over here to let you know that updates are coming through on a regular basis now. Thank you so much for your expertise. Have a wonderful Easter.

Tom

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 11:43 AM

I hope you have a wonderful Easter as well.

Dan

#15 Guest_anon32028_*

Guest_anon32028_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

Hey there,

Where did Microsoft post about this?

Also the update that failed is an Intel graphics update not a Windows update, this may be a driver update or I might be wrong.

Usually on Windows 8/8.1 if there's an update it'll download them automatically and install them during shut down or over a period of 3 days.

So when you go to shut down it will say "Shut down and update". If you are getting this then your updates are fine.

Darktune

============
Darktune, what you want is (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355): "All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require this update to be installed. We recommend that you install this update on your Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer in order to receive continued future updates".
============
I never was able to get the Control Panel, Windows Updates to install it, no matter what I tried, even with the rerelease of it on 2014_04_17.  So I ended up having to (high level):

1.  Install KB2919442 (a prerequsite).
2.  Download KB2919355 from Windows Update Catalog, and install the several individual updates, contained in KB2919355 manually.
3.  Install other updates.
============

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users