Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs When Logging In

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 john_feiereisen

john_feiereisen

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

XP Media Edition

SP3

Dell Dimension E520

Boots up just fine.  When I type in my password all is as expected.  But when I hit enter after my password, nothing happens.  The password window with the dots across it just stays there.  It's just frozen.  Same thing happens with any of the 4 usernames on the system.  Only a hard power-down has any effect.

The machine boots up in safe mode just fine, and I can log in as myself in safe mode just fine.  I did a virus scan and found nothing.  (I'm typing this in safe mode on the affected machine.)

But when I boot back up in normal mode, same problem.  Enter password, then nothing.  I tried booting to "last known good configuration" and still the same thing happens.  Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 eq2675

eq2675

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

If you are using Security Essentials, last night's update was bad for XP. Update it in Safe Mode with Networking.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:55 AM

For some reason or the other, I've had this happen even on XP installs w/out MSE, though I don't now, as I don't use the OS any longer.

Hopefully the OP's issue is fixed, but I've seen this behavior 3 years.ago. The only thing that would fix it & that was temporarily, was to run chkdsk /r.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 john_feiereisen

john_feiereisen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:34 AM

If you are using Security Essentials, last night's update was bad for XP. Update it in Safe Mode with Networking.

Thank you.  That jibes with what I'm seeing.  I was going to add this:

When it hangs at password entry, if I wait about 10 minutes I finally see my desktop.

After another 5 minutes I hear the Windows startup sound.

For another 5 minutes the cursor turns into an hourglass when I hover over the taskbar.

A popup comes up out of the system tray saying that MSE isn't protecting me because the service isn't running.  Click here to fix.

I clock and it immediately goes away.

A few seconds later the MSE end-of-life popup shows up.

When I click on the start button, nothing happens for 5 minutes, then the start menu pops up.

When I select shutdown, nothing happens for another 5 minutes, then the standby/shutdown/cancel window pops up.

When I click on shutdown, nothing happens for 5 minutes, then the machine shuts down.

And during all the waiting the disk activity light barely flickers.

It's like *extreme* slow motion, but all is "normal" except the MSE service popup.  Your mention of the hosed MSE update makes a lot of sense.

How do I update MSE in safe mode?  I don't see the icon in the system tray in safe mode.  And if I uninstall it, is the XP version still available to reinstall even though XP isn't supported anymore?

Thanks.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:11 AM

It may be a good time to run a full scan with the ESET Online Scanner to check for possible infection, as some will prevent security from loading properly, Over the last 2-3 years, I've ran it & does a good job of finding & removing infections by quarantine (deletion can be choosed later). If the computer runs better after scanning & removal of infections, then MSE will likely perform better, unless there's a bug in the software.

http://www.eset.com/int/home/products/online-scanner/

As this uses no resources when not in use, it doesn't require removal, it'll just need updating upon the next scan, which should be done monthly as a 2nd opinion. This is the same engine/definitions as NOD32 & ESET Smart Security uses. Make sure that the advanced options are checked for best results.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 john_feiereisen

john_feiereisen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:55 PM

Thank you.  I booted into safe mode, launched MSE tried updating it, and it failed.  I used msconfig to turn off microsoft antimalware on boot-up and rebooted into normal mode (it booted just fine).  I then tried updating MSE, and it threw another error, but when I closed the "do you want to tell Bill" box, there was an active MSE update progress bar behind it.  It updated, and I rebooted just fine, but I had to use msconfig to turn microsoft antimalware back on at startup, it rebooted again just fine, and I think all is well.

Once again, bleepingcomputer saves the day.

Thank you.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:59 AM

Good to hear that you got it going, hopefully the install will stay running as good. If not, pease keep us posted.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users