Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting "this web page is not available" msg in chrome and IE.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BFast

BFast

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Certain web pages won't load, including web pages that I have never loaded before.  (When browsing around, I'll click on a site and it won't load.)  If a page doesn't load, it never loads.  It won't start loading tomorrow.  Another computer on the same network has no problem.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:25 PM

Does the computer connect by WiFi or ethernet? If WiFi, have you tried ethernet? If ethernet, have you tried WiFi (assuming it has a WiFi card)?

Is the computer connected to a router? If so, have you tried connecting directly to the modem (assuming it is even possible)?

Have you tried the computer at another location (i.e. friend's house or if a laptop with WiFi at a Starbucks or Wendy's or some place else with free WiFi)?

Have you tried creating another user account to see if connecting to site works better with the new user account?

Are you running any security software (i.e. a firewall)?

#3 BFast

BFast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

I am on wifi with a local router.  The other computer that can connect to the same website is on the same local wifi.  I therefore presume that the wifi is not the fundamental problem.

As for other software, I have tried to keep the two computers very much alike.  Both are running K9 access controls.  I am not certain if I am running a Microsoft firewall or not, but I am not running one from a 3rd party company.  

I will test the "other account" theory right away.

#4 BFast

BFast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:46 PM

I created a "guest" account, and tried it there.  The Chrome message was slightly different: "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to ..."  Different user, basically the same failure.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:38 PM

I am on wifi with a local router.  The other computer that can connect to the same website is on the same local wifi.  I therefore presume that the wifi is not the fundamental problem.

WiFi could still be the problem if there is a problem with the WiFi card/adapter/chipset or the WiFi driver for that computer. So, it would be best if you could try ethernet. If ethernet works, then that suggests some issue with the WiFi card/chipset/adapter on that particular computer.

As for other software, I have tried to keep the two computers very much alike.  Both are running K9 access controls.  I am not certain if I am running a Microsoft firewall or not, but I am not running one from a 3rd party company.

Are the K9 settings exactly the same on both computers? Have you tried temporarily turning off the K9 access control software?  

#6 BFast

BFast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:44 PM

I tried disabling K9, No effect.

I tried direct ethernet.  It worked!  K9 was active.

So the problem would appear to be my WiFi card/chipset/adapter.  However, all of that sounds like hardware.  Is there a realistic chance that it is a driver issue?  Ie, software, ie fixable?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users