Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer.exe Will Not Load

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Korgil

Korgil

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 08:57 PM

Ok so where to begin,
I use Windows XP Pro.
It started when some one was using my computer to check their email and they notices that I had an active desktop. It was the "Tesla Plus" virus warning and had some links on it. They opened the link an it opened a window for the web site, they did not download anything from it. They then restarted the computer hoping that it would get rid of the "Tesla Plus" desktop.

After restarting an error message occurred after the log in during the time explorer would load. I think it was something about failure to load explorer.exe. After I found out about this I tried to run AVG anti-virus to find out what was wrong. The AVG found 25 Trojan Horse files and 4 other virus files. I had them either healed or quarantined. After that, computer started to act even worse.

I think some of the files that were quarantined were .dll files and I was missing my winInet.dll file and it would give an error message after most programs that I tried to open, saying that it was missing or something, and then the application would go ahead and open and work fine without it (At this time Winamp worked still). I then downloaded the winInet.dll from a .dll website and that error message went away. After I put the new .dll file in my winamp, windows media player, AIM, and others do no work.

As for the current status of my computer. explorer.exe tries to load on start up and shows the bottom task bar for about 5 seconds, no desktop icons, and then it vanishes. Winamp and windows media player open for about 2 seconds also and then close. I receive an error on the login screen if I wait for it and later if I log in and load really fast. The message is [svchost.exe - application error The instruction at "0x7c81ac9b" referenced memory at "0x800401109". The memory could not be "read".] Also my google desktop gives a error for an unexpected quit after about 30 seconds of loading. Right now I can use the internet on my computer and play warcraft 3 but that is about it.

I think that is all of it. I hope that some one can help me soon.

Edited by Korgil, 19 May 2006 - 08:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 09:24 PM

try booting in safe mode with networking and go to this website http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php run a complete scan and see what else could be going on its a free online virus scanner to see if there are any more virus's on your computer

#3 Korgil

Korgil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the input, this is what happened,
Well when I tried to scan my computer in safe mode with networking I figured that I would try to see if windows media player would work in there. When I tried to open it it did the same thing and closed again after about 10 seconds. Then my safe mode started to freak out. It would give me the option to stay in safe mode or reboot from the system back up thing. However, I would say yes then it would load the desktop and task bar then clear it again and give me the message again to stay in safe mode. This just kept on going and wouldn't stop.
Also the program didn't work right and wouldn't complete. It stopped at 10 sec, Idle, and on the 3rd step.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 12:31 PM

If you know exactly when the viruses were downloaded use Windows System Restore to reset your computer to a system state predating the infection.

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system restore

The System REstore wizard will open allowing you to choose a restore point that existed before your computer became infected.

#5 Korgil

Korgil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 06:26 PM

OK that sounds good but can you tell me how to get there with out using the start menu since I do not have explorer.exe

OK I figured out how to open it with task manager but it wont work. I also tried it in Safe mode with networking, just because, and it still didn't work. It tries to open and shows the frame of it then closes out before the middle is diplayed.

Edited by Korgil, 20 May 2006 - 07:03 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:13 PM

You can also access System Restore
start>run
type in "msconfig" without the quotation marks and click "OK".

Click "Launch System Restore".

If you cannot do that you can do it through the "start" button then try using a command prompt to initiate System Restore as described in the following Microsoft article:
How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/

You must be logged on with an administrator account to use System Restore.

#7 Korgil

Korgil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:56 PM

I tried the way that the link said and it still did the same thing with trying to load the window and then quiting out of it. The way I did was in safe mode with command prompt and typed "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe"
It does that with every way I have tried to far.

Any more suggestions about how to fix this thing? I am thinking that I might have to reformat.

#8 Korgil

Korgil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 09:22 PM

Just an update.
So to clarify, I have no desktop at all. All I have is a background that is used by webshots and I have been opening everything through the "new task" button on the task manager.

Almost all of my programs will not work right. When I open adobe acrobat it works perfectly for about 30 seconds, everything is visible in the whole document, then the program freezes. This happens every time.

Just trying to relay more information in hopes that any of it will help to diagnose the problem.

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

Before you reformat and reinstall, why not try a repair install?

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users