Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Automatic Updates - Cannot Turn ON

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maverick01

Maverick01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hello all,

First time to post on this forum so bear with me please.  My XP Pro desktop will not let me turn on Automatic Updates for some reason.  It is all "greyed out" and will not allow me to set it for Automatic Updates.  Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:01 PM

Well...it might have to do with the fact that XP is no longer supported for critical updates. 

It makes sense to me that autoupdates might now be nonexistent for XP, while one can probably still go to the Windows/Microsoft Update sites and manually download/install any updates from the past which may need reinstallation.

See XP Support Has Ended.

Louis

#3 Maverick01

Maverick01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

You know, I never thought about that sir.  I had been doing some cleaning on my PC and noticed it and thought that it might be a bug or something.  I will check into that.  Thanks for taking the time to send me your thoughts.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:37 PM

XP-pro-SP3
Last updates I did was Apr.10. Then I turned the service off (stopped, disabled). Ditto for BITS.
To check for you, I just turned it on and automatic. Then back off. No issues here, so I suspect there's another reason.

Also, strangely enough, the windows update log has been filling daily. You'd think it'd stop, but it's behaving just as it always did.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:49 PM

The only reason to keep auto updates turned on for XP, is if a supported version of Office (2007/2010) is installed. Other than that, there is no reason to have it enabled.

This just keeps Office updated, not the OS itself, It is preferable to move any Office installs to a supported OS.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users