Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

online storage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teddyk

teddyk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:41 PM

I am an avid photographer/videographer (amature)..possibly going pro but low budget now...... I have filled 4 external drives with about 3.5 TB combined. I am looking for an online service that won't cost me a fortune. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

What do you consider a fortune?

And are you looking for "active storage" or online backup?

In reality, you are likely to find that it will be cheaper to buy more local storage (aka hard drives) than it is to pay for 3.5 TB (or more) of online "active" storage. For example, it looks like DropBox would be about $500 a year just for 500 GB. Google Drive is $100 per month for 10 TB. You likely will find lesser know names for less, but probably not that much less such that it becomes cheaper than more hard drives.

If you are looking for online backup, then there are much cheaper options that allow for "unlimited data" but you would want to read their fine print about what their consider unlimited. And you would likely not have easy access from anywhere as it is meant for backup, not "active" online storage.

#3 teddyk

teddyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

BC advisor, 

You are correct, unlimited is typically limited to one hardrive installed locally which would make this not a suitable alternative.  

1200 a year is alot. I am having a tough time understanding with disk space and bandwith available at such cheap prices why there are not more reasonable alternatives. 

#4 teddyk

teddyk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 08:59 AM

I would even settle for a solution that would limit my access and so to keep the provider's cost down.  

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

I would even settle for a solution that would limit my access and so to keep the provider's cost down.

Then you can look at "backup" services such as Carbonite, Mozy, Crashplan, and others.

Here is article list a bunch of them:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/tp/online_backup_services.htm

Here is another one to look at:

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-online-backup-services-1006345049

Note that I found both articles with a Google search, so I cannot say how good or bad any information or advice that is given.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users