Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD RW not working - shown as CD ROM!! Driver issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gbbg

gbbg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

Greetings all!

The DVD RW drive on my HP Pavilion dv9700 series (9920us) is not working. Please find the relevant details below:

1. The drive is Model TS-L632N/HPMH - I think this is Toshiba?
2. It's detected in My Computer as HD-DVD ROM.
3. When I try to play a CD/DVD, the light comes on and spins but then shows "Please insert a disk into HD DVD-ROM Drive (F:)"
4. The Device Manager detects it as a CD ROM and obviously the Windows generic driver doesn't work. The Device Manager picks it up as an "Unknown Device" and is shown as "NCB XYB09 QNKX SCSI CdRom Drive".

The driver is not available on the HP site, so tried the regedit option. I believe I deleted all the strings associated with the driver key!! Then tried the Microsoft tool, which must have installed the generic driver which causes the DVD drive to be recognised as a CD ROM instead. I tried the sfc /scannow as well and it shows that there are corrupt files, which could not be fixed. The laptop works well otherwise.

Please help! Where can I find the driver for the drive? How can I go about fixing this issue?

Edited by gbbg, 16 April 2014 - 11:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

I copied this from another site, hope it works for you.

To fix the drives, go to http://www.microsoftwindows.com ,    click on microsoft help and support.   Then scroll to self support,                                Microsoft Fix it Support Centre ,         then scroll down to    "Windows",      then all the way down to,                                                                           Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs .   Click on this link and,      click on "Fix It For Me",  and there is where you will fix it for yourself.Its easy.Good Day!

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:20 PM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=ca&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3740562& Should take you to support divers download. They don't make it easy.

Edited by technonymous, 16 April 2014 - 08:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users