Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updates got stuck

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Sam

Magic Sam

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:53 AM

I have just switched from XP to W7 on my dual boot desktop.  Not surprisingly when I started there were a boatload of Windows updates to install, not once but on several boots.  Most of these appear to have installed successfully.  However when in response to a prompt I did a manual update, the system went into an endless "Preparing to Install" mode which in the end (after 2 hours!) I had to kill. Any advice please?

PS At one point I tried using the MS "Fixit" tool that popped up, but didn't seem to change much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:16 AM

Try running the chkdsk /r command.

You did reboot the system...correct?

Louis

#3 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:56 PM

Have rebooted today > popup screen prompting me to update no longer appears.  However ..

If I do a manual update the "Preparing to install" in continuous mode reappears.

What is significant is that some updates are indeed installing successfully, but not all.  Makes me wonder if "Preparing to install" is visible even when installation is in progress.  And that there is some installation that takes an abnormally long time to complete.

Tried to do Chkdsk /r.  Blocked.  I need to be in "elevated mode" to have the necessary privileges (solo non-networked desktop).  Another evening's work to figure out how to acquire these privileges for my own PC ...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

How to start an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7 and Vista - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic309198.html

Louis

#5 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:07 AM

I ran chkdsk /r as per your instructions and whilst watching on screen nothing "bad" seemed to be being picked up.  However it took a long time to complete and at the end it appears to have shut down when I wasn't watching!  Does it keep a log somewhere?  [I am not using the same PC just now]

I suppose I could just leave it "Preparing to install" the update(s) overnight and see if by the following morning it had got around to doing the job.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:16 PM

Run the chkdsk /r command again, please.

There is no point in watching the screen or worrying about the log, IMO.

We just want the utility to do what it does.

Louis

#7 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:51 PM

I can of course run it again if that's what you advise, but if it did its thing yesterday (as appeared to be the case whilst I was still watching, glued to the screen) AND it didn't need any user intervention from me, will this achieve anything further?

#8 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

When I logged in to "WP" (dual-boot PC) this evening there was a black pop-up screen saying that the C: drive was "clean".

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Well. the reality is that sometimes one pass is not enough, particularly so with systems/drives where chkdsk /r has not run in a long time or file issues remain.

Running it multiple times doesn't hurt the system...and it may save some user frustration.

Louis

#10 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

Anything has got to be worth saving me frustration ...  It is a new / refurbished PC though so shouldn't have that much baggage to chkdsk out.

#11 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

I left the PC "Preparing to install" overnight.  This morning there was a screen:

"AvastUI.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x0000000075E181B8 referenced memory at 0x0000000075E181B8.  The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e.  Click on OK to terminate the program."

I had to reboot after this.

This might mean that there's some kind of a conflict between my Avast AV and these W7 updates, or be entirely unconnected.

There are two important updates (in addition to 6 optionals) which have got stuck:

1: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows 7 for x64-based systems (KB2929437) - 45 MB

2: Update for Windows 7 for x-64 based systems (KB2904266). 729 KB

1: may of course be blocking 2:.  Both appear to have been downloaded but not installed.

The system is set to receive updates automatically at 3 am (when the computer is normally switched off)

It looks like the vast majority of previous updates since I switched recently to W7 have been installed successfully. I have rebooted several times since then.

Other than to repeatedly run chkdsk /r again in the hope that it unblocks the jam I am unsure how to proceed.

#12 Magic Sam

Magic Sam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

Latest: I got onto MS Support in the end and the technician was finally able to fix it via LogMeIn.  Something to do with the installation not having completed correctly. If so then this might be the end of this thread!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users