Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange VoIP problem?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

We ran out of Ethernet ports on one wall of the building (all in use), we added another person, I added in a small 8 port unmanaged POE switch so I can run more devices from a single Ethernet port. One phone works fine, the other will not connect to the FTP shoretel server from the same new 8 port POE switch.

The one that does not work was moved from a different port which was plugged into a different 24 port switch (top switch) in the server room, both 24 port switches in the server room are connected with one patch cable from one to the other. They are on 2 different ip's 192.168.10.253 (Bottom switch) and 192.168.10.254 (Top switch) with the same gateways and same DNS.

All of the shoretel equipment is plugged into the same 24 port switch (Top switch) in the server room and this particular ethernet port with the new 8 port POE switch attached goes into the (bottom switch).

One phone connects the other does not. Strange thing: I can move the non working phone back to the original port it used to be in (Top 24 port switch) and it will work. I checked on the both 24 port switches (which are managed) there is no different vlan, all are the same.

Another strange thing: I can plug a computer into the phone (it has ethernet ports one in one out) when it is not working from the new 8 port switch which goes to the bottom 24 port switch in the server room, and ping the FTP shoretel server and even remote into it. Obviously the phone should be able to see it and connect or so it would seem to me.

I tried both DHCP on the phone and setting the phone up manually.

Any thoughts?

Edited by zingo156, 16 April 2014 - 08:09 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

I may have read it wrong possibly but did you just try plugging the phone not working into a different port of the 8 port connector?

#3 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:56 AM

I didn't mention that, I did try it though, nothing changed. Tried different cables as well etc.

Edited by zingo156, 16 April 2014 - 09:02 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:24 AM

UPDATE: I have cut out the new 8 port switch to test direct to the bottom swtich, the phone doesn't connect even plugged directly into the bottom switch, it connects fine plugged into the top switch where it was originally. Many phones are currently working directly plugged into the bottom switch, my phone is currently in the bottom switch and works fine, I plugged this phone into my ethernet port, same problem, it can not locate the FTP server.

Why would it be that it doesn't work in the bottom switch but the top switch is fine? Those switches are connected together with 1 single patch cable and are on the same subnet. I am at a loss here. I will be looking in the shoretel server to see if there is some strange setting there I am not aware of.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

Depending on your network setup the Phones need to be on their own VLAN wich requires a LAYER 3 POE switch. The switch also needs to be configured properly with the Ports set to TRUNK and allow the native vlan and the vlan for the phones. The top switch is likely the layer 3 POE switch, thats why all the shortel equipment is plugged in there. The bottom is either a layer 2 unmanaged switch or is not configured properly for  the VLANS.There is this one from Netgear, or what we use as our backbone switches the Cisco WS-C3560-48PS-S Catalyst 3560 48-port POE 802.3af Switch. Your cheapest option (unless the main switch is out of ports) is to run another drop back to the main switch (electricical contractor here charges around 65pr hour should only take a few hours). I am not familar with the Netgear however it should do the VOIP VLan routing. Make sure the ports are programmed correctly. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:34 AM

Thank you for the suggestions, the bottom switch is a Cisco SRW224G4P (Is layer 3). I do believe I have found part of the problem. I can no longer log into the cisco switch. Also when I tried to plug in a computer to the bottom switch, it would not connect to the internet which is plugged into the same bottom switch. I am going to try and power cycle the switch to see if it will come back. There is something strange going on with that switch.

What confused me was that 2 phones are going to the same port in the bottom switch through that new 8 port POE switch, 1 connects the other does not. The only difference is that the one that works, has been plugged into the bottom switch for at least a year and the one that does not connect was plugged into the top switch and moved to the bottom switch through the new 8 port switch.

It seems to me the problem must be with the bottom switch, I am still at a loss as to what would get hosed up. I did recently have to replace fans on 2 of the other 24 port switches, they were overheating and dropping connection, those are back up and running fine. I suppose the Cisco SRW224G4P could have fans that are going out but it didn't seem hot to me and the fans were running.

If resetting allows me to log back into the bottom switch, I will check the configuration of the VLANS, and also see if the ports are set to trunk.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

I am relatively new to VLans. I had a an introduction with the new Branch Facility I just setup with Ruckus Wireless and 2 Wireless networks on separate VLan's routing over a VPN Bridge and trying to figure out how to DCHP the wireless (using only an ASA 5505, Catalyst C3560-48PS).

Are you able to Console in? What error is it giving you? Are you on the same subnet as the Switch? Were you able to telnet in before? Or are you trying the Web interface?

Since its layer 3 your phones and your LAN(s) are likely on different VLANS depending on the port configuration the Internet/LAN may not be configured to pass. If the port mode is set to access and its only assigned the VLAN of the phones you wont get any internet. If you on the Phone VLAN you wont be able to acess the switch (unless telnet was allowed for that address).

Chad Mockensturm 

#8 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:42 AM

I restarted the switch and the phone connected, everything is fine now, problem solved. Something happened to the switch.

As to what happened to the switch, I have no ideas. I did not try to console in, I was using the web interface before. Suddenly I was no longer able to even get to the web interface. I tried plugging directly into the switch and using the default subnet to connect to it in case it had restarted and lost it's settings, I still could not connect.

Has anyone ever seen similar issues with a switch? No new connections could be made through the switch when it was broken. I had replaced the other fans in 2 of the other 24 port poe switches, those are a different brand and were dropping connections on certain ports, I could physically feel they were overheating, replacing the fans solved those problems.

I felt this cisco switch again, seems to be running cool, all fans working normally. I guess next time I'll know to reset the bottom switch if no new phones can connect.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

giphy.gif

hehe

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:21 AM

Ha ha to the GIF. It is true in I.T. restarting the computer solves most problems.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

Crash course in vlans complete just finished programming a Cisco ASA5505 for our new branch office. It tunnels 3 vlans  over a ipsec bridge to our main hospital. :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:27 AM

I bet that was a fun learning experience...

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

It was definatly a learning experience!

Chad Mockensturm 

#14 elisagrace

elisagrace

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:43 AM

Hi zingo156 I also faced the same problem and made all efforts to correct the problem but was not successful. I called the repairer from Nexcom digitial Solutions. He visited and after examining the fault corrected the problem.

#15 zingo156

zingo156
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Thanks for the response, I did finally figure out the problem, that cisco switch (Cisco SRW224G4P) was dropping DHCP packets for no reason. This had happened multiple times, I replaced the switch with a new HP pro series and have had no more problems when moving any devices. I am not sure what causes the switch to malfunction. It happened at least once a month.

I updated the firmware and will be keeping it as a spare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users