Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The New LinuxCounter Project

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:05 AM

The New LinuxCounter Project was created in order to revive and replace the good old linux counter project on counter.li.org.
Since January 11, 2012 counter.li.org redirects directly to linuxcounter.net and thus, linuxcounter.net is the only and main real linux counter with the greatest userbase.

Show you support for Linux by getting a user number like mine and add it to your sig.

Join here.

http://linuxcounter.net/main.html

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 helpmepc111

helpmepc111

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:06 AM

Can you help me if i forget the linux root password. My hard disk is almost 99% and i have now forgot the password for my root. Can you please help me..

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

Using GRUB, you can manually edit the proposed menu entry at boot time. To do so, when GRUB is presenting the menu list (you might need to press ESC first), follow those instructions:

• use the arrows to select the boot entry you want to modify.
  • press e to edit the entry
  • use the arrows to go to kernel line
  • press e to edit this entry
  • at the end of the line add the word single
  • press ESC to go back to the parent menu
  • press b to boot this kernel

The kernel should be booting as usual (except for the graphical splash screen you might be used to), and you will finally get a root prompt (sh#).

As root, changing password does not ask for your old password, therefore running the command:

# passwd

will prompt you for your new password and will ask you to confirm it to make sure there is no typo.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 April 2014 - 08:27 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users