Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error msg

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 reagle7

reagle7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:45 AM

When I start up my computer I keep getting an error msg.  cannot find  C;\Users\homanfamily\AppData\Local\Conduit\BackgroundContainer\Background Container.dll   How do I get rid of this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:38 AM

The file in the error message is related to Conduit, a toolbar engine installed (bundled) alongside many free applications which allows users to add applications directly to their browser without a community toolbar. Conduit offers a distribution option for Conduit-powered offerings and is used in order to generate ad revenue for the company. While not explicitly malware, it is often installed stealthily without knowledge or consent from the end user and is considered a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP).

After using anti-virus and other security scanning tools to remove adware, PUPs and malware it is not uncommon to find remnants of startup and scheduled task registry keys when booting up your computer.

Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file may have been removed inadvertently, during the uninstallation of a program or after performing a scan with security tools. However, an associated orphaned registry entry (value) still exists and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, you need to remove this registry entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

How to fix the Run DLL error message/background container.dll
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 reagle7

reagle7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

I ran the autorun and found the backgroundconduit.dll deleted it and my error msg is gone thanks to all

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

You're welcome.

To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users