Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop Won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 justawildchild

justawildchild

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:03 PM

My wife's laptop has stopped working. 

She has a Gateway NV53

AMD Athlon II X2 M300

15.6" LED Display

320 GB HDD

3GB Memory

With either the battery, or power cord in place (or both)  the blue LED light will turn on, and fans will start to run but it will not boot.  I have tried disconnecting power and holding down power button for 30+ secs, but still nothing.

Is there anything I should do to determine if this is a motherboard issue?

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RobertMizell

RobertMizell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:10 AM

The battery and adapter are working. This is a motherboard issue or something else. Maybe you have to bring your laptop to the Gateway repair center.

Edited by RobertMizell, 16 April 2014 - 01:11 AM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:54 AM

Check to see if there is a picture on the screen that is faint, use a bright flash light shine at the screen and check if anything is there with it running. If your model has an inverter this is a cheap part that powers the backlight, sometimes they go out. If it has an LED screen, then it is possible the cable or panel is bad or the backlight has burned out, try connecting an external monitor and see if you get any video out from that. If you get nothing from external video out move on.

You can try to remove the ram and put it back in. If that doesn't work, try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot at a time. Move each stick to each slot. A single bad stick of ram could be the problem or a bad slot.

Try to reset the cmos by removing all power sources, battery, power adapter and then the button cell battery from the main board if you can access it.

If it still is not working, you would need to start removing all hardware that is not needed for post, DVD drive, Hard drive, Wireless card, webcam, keyboard, mouse etc, each component can cause problems, this would require a tear down of the machine.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

I have the exact laptop and mine is doing the same thing? I cannot figure out what it is. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

#5 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:22 PM

I have the exact laptop and mine is doing the same thing? I cannot figure out what it is. Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

If you have the same issues, follow the same instructions above.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 spngbobis4me

spngbobis4me

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

where is the button cell battery located?

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

This video might help:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users