Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get proper screen resolution

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JudMc

JudMc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

This is kind of internal and external, so I hope this is the right forum.

One of my computers is a Dell Optiflex 790, running Windows 7.  It has built-in Intel HD graphics.  I was using a 1920x1068 monitor on it.  Now I've moved that monitor to another computer and got out a Samsung Syncmaster 192N for this computer.  The Samsung has a max resolution of 1280x1024.  The computer doesn't detect it, saying just "generic PNP monitor".  And the only resolutions available are 1280x1024 and 1366x768 - both larger than the max resolution of the monitor.  At one time in the past, I did have a 1280x1024 monitor correctly working on this computer.

I've tried things like turning everything off and restarting, search for hardware changes, and update drivers. I downloaded the Syncmaster driver, but it says that something is missing from the inf file.  I don't know what else to do.

How can I fix this problem?

------

Added - I downloaded the latest graphics driver directly from Intel, but that didn't fix the problem.

----------

More: And the owner's manual says the max resolution is:

Up to 2048x1536 @ 75Hz (VGA only)

-----

And another try:

I uninstalled the monitor in Device Manager and rebooted.  No change.

-------------

And I have a similar computer that also has Intel built-in graphics.  It detects it as "generic", but it gives a wide choice of resolutions - in contrast to only two possible resolutions for this computer.

And I tried a similar monitor, but HP instead of Samsung - same thing with it.

Edited by JudMc, 16 April 2014 - 12:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

You said

"The Samsung has a max resolution of 1280x1024.  The computer doesn't detect it, saying just "generic PNP monitor".  And the only resolutions available are 1280x1024 and 1366x768 - both larger than the max resolution of the monitor."

If the Samsung has a max resolution of 1280x1024 and your available resolutions are 1280x1024 and 1366x768, wouldn't 1280x1024 work or did you mean that the only resolutions available were 1024x768 and 1366x768? Later you say the monitor has a maximum resolution of 2048x1536 @ 75Hz. 

What is the model number of the Samsung? In the intel Control Center, is the refresh rate set to 75Hz? If not set it to that and see if you have more resolutions available.

#3 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:14 AM

Whoops, I made a mistake in giving the resolutions. I've tried a Samsung Syncmaster 192N (1280x1024) and an HP VS17e (also 1280x1024). 

I gave the only two available resolutions on the computer as 1280x1024 and 1366x768, but they are actually 1366x768 and 1920x1068 - both higher than the max resolution of the two monitors.

"Up to 2048x1536 @ 75Hz (VGA only)" - that was for the graphics on the computer.  But I'm getting only those two lower resolutions, and both of them are higher than that of the monitors.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:30 AM

See my previous post. If you change the refresh rate in the intel Control Center, do you get extra resolutions? What is the model number of the Samsung. It may have a driver on their Website. Some monitors do.

Edit: Sorry, I see the Samsung model number. I will look to see if a driver is available.

Because the monitor is old, I could only find an XP driver for it. You may have to install the driver in compatibility mode if double clicking the setup file does not work.

http://download.cnet.com/SyncMaster-190N-M-192N-M-193N-M/3000-2108_4-147922.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 April 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#5 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:52 AM

The Samsung was my first LCD monitor.  I tried the drivers for it last night, but they wouldn't install.  I've got the HP hooked up now (it is the same way).  The HP is almost as old.  It is probably time for a new monitor.

Edited by JudMc, 16 April 2014 - 10:53 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

Did you try installing using compatibility mode? A new monitor is probably not a bad idea.

#7 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:37 AM

No, I didn't try compatibility mode.

Here is a bit of background, which probably doesn't matter, but it might.  I'm using three computers.  My main one is a Dell XPS 8300, i7, Win8.1.  I have two small i5s with Win7 - a Acer and a Dell.  One or both of the Win7 computers detected the monitors a generic, but they have a wide variety of resolution choices, including the 1280x1024 for those two monitors.  Everything was working properly.

I had my Viewsonic 1920x1028 on DVI on the Dell 8300.  I had the Samsung monitor on the Acer and the HP monitor on the small Dell, both VGA.  Last month I put them all on a KVN switch, using the big Viewsonic (switching it from DCI to VGA, since the KVN switch is VGA).  Everything was working - all monitors detected the 1920x1028 monitor.

Then a couple of days ago I decided to make my main computer a dual-monitor system by moving the big Viewsonic back to DVI on it and putting one of the old monitors on the VGA switch (I tried both the Samsung and the HP).  Almost everything went smoothly.  The Dell 8300 came up and I didn't have to set anything  - it detected both monitors, etc.  The Acer came up and detected the monitor as generic, but it did allow the proper resolution to be set.  The little Dell also detected the monitor as generic, but now it showed only two resolution choices - both bigger than the max of the old monitors.  That's the problem.

I've tried connecting both of the old VGA monitors directly to the little Dell (bypassing the KVN switch), to see if it would detect the monitor properly or at least allow the proper resolution to be selected, but it didn't make a difference (even though the HP monitor used to work properly with it). 

So that is where I am.  I'm strongly leading toward buying a new monitor, but I've bought a bunch of computer stuff in the last 2 months.

#8 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a new monitor. 

One or both of the old monitors will go to a local charity that gives or loans computers to learn computer skills.  They don't mind if the equipment is old.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the update.

#10 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the update.

Yes, I would have liked to move my 24-inch monitor over to the second one and buy a new 27-inch one for the main one.  But I found an Acer 21.5-inch 1920x1080 for $100, so it will be my second one.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:48 PM

Sounds good. I find it strange that the Dell could not get the correct resolutions even when the driver was updated. I mispoke in one of my earlier posts. I asked if the Refresh rate on in the Intel Control Center was set to 75Hz. I believe for a LCD it should be set to 60Hz but it probably wont make a difference.

#12 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:57 PM

It is set to 60Hz.

The problem may be that the monitors are so old.  The native resolution on the new one is one of the two that it will allow.  But I hope that the new one will work correctly with it when installed.

Edited by JudMc, 16 April 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#13 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:13 PM

Well, I got to wondering ... I was using an old (probably 10-15 years old) generic VGA cable.  I replaced it with a new one from Tripp Lite.  I swapped them while the computer was running, and it recognized the monitor AND set it to the proper resolution without me even having to reboot!

That old cable is going out the door.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,949 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:47 PM

Very nice catch! Are you still going with the new monitor?

#15 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:58 PM

Well, I ordered it from Amazon yesterday.  It was being prepared for shipment, and I put in a cancellation request, but it was too late to cancel.  I don't really need it now.  I can return it, but I'll probably keep it.  It is a good deal.

I said that the old cable was generic - it has a Radio Shack brand on it.

Another thing I tried today that was unsuccessful was to put a DisplayPort to VGA adapter in its DisplayPort.  That didn't work, but I was using the bad VGA cable at that time.

And another thing I was considering is putting in a video card (it has built-in graphics).

Edited by JudMc, 17 April 2014 - 08:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users