Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to view websites on my virtual private server

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wgrogers

wgrogers

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

I have three computers, one hardwired to ATT U-Verse and two wireless.  All run Windows 7.  I have five hosting companies with numerous websites on each, two are Virtural Private Servers.

Until today I was able to access all servers whether shared or VPS but for some reason one of the VPS servers I am unable to view any of the domains hosted there.

I can receive email from  those domains.  I can connect to the server via ftp.

Employees in other areas with ATT U-Verse or Comcast are able to see the domains.  I can view the domains using 4G wireless tablets or cell phones.  I cannot view the domains on any of the three computers using any browser including firefox, chrome or IE.  I get a timeout on tracert nameserver.com after it hits my IP address. 

I confirmed the domains are active with the VPS host.  I also confirmed with ATT that there wasn't a line issue and powered down and reset the router several times.

I still cannot access any of the domains and the only other commonality I know of was that before doing anything this morning, I ran CCleaner on all three computers.  I have imported the deleted registry files in case there was something deleted that shouldn't have been but that is the only thing different from yesterday and prior.

At my wits end with this, no idea what else to try.  Any suggestions appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:27 PM

[peanut gallery]

What's the security software? Any updates that might have changed firewall settings?

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:29 PM

Using avast! and will disable to see if that makes a difference.

#4 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

diabled AV but still gives a DNS error.  Trying older system restore on another computer to see if there were updates / drivers that caused issues.

#5 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:42 PM

system restore did nothing either.

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

DNS error?

On the computer or the router?

Dick E

#7 wgrogers

wgrogers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

The DNS error was caused by someone who hasn't fessed up yet.  On the VPS, someone uploaded the website files into the website files.  In other words, looking at the file manager in cPanel, you could see 'website.com', which when you opened it, found it contained find 5 folders and 17 files.  One of the 5 folders was also 'website.com' with 4 folders and 17 files in it. We are going to have a lesson for all with ftp access, called "How to upload". 

I checked to see if I had ftp access several times but never bothered until now to open the folders.  When I cleared the duplicate sites from file manager, all was right again with the world.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

A little wisdom saves a lot of sweat and tears

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic