Hi all, hoping you can assist me. I am on my laptop computer that my girl friend uses. The other morning, she went to log on to Google Chrome and received message that proxy was not working. (I do not use a proxy, never have) I went to my settings, unchecked proxy and rechecked automatically detect settings, saved, exited and tried again...same message. Went back into settings and proxy was checked again. This has been going on for three days now. It is effecting IE11 the same way, message states...
Someone suggested changing registry setting Current User/Software/Microsoft/windows/currentversion/Internet settings and changing DWORD from 0 to 1 for Proxy Enable. That did not work either. It is still currently set at 1. I did not change back yet.
I have tried several removal tools, MalwareBytes, Norman Malware cleaner but to no avail. I have tried a dozen times to install AWDCleaner, but it will not install. I tried this both in Admin log-in and in safe mode. Progam either says setting up files them goes blank, or says failed to install. I have also viewed my HOSTS file and it looks correct.
No matter what I have tried, something has hijacked my setting and will not let me change it. I am typing this on the infected computer using FireFox.
So now I am here, and I have attached the "Attach.TXT" file in hopes someone can resolve this. If it matters, I ran DDS in safe mode.
Thank you for any assistance you can offer.
I should also mention that I have removed anything I though useless or unknown before posting. Hopefully that will make finding the issue easier for someone.
Edited by chuckman, 15 April 2014 - 06:22 PM.