Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

using computer speakers and a stereo

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JudMc

JudMc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

I hope this is the right forum to ask.  I have a computer with Windows 8.1.  It has mini jacks on the back for line in, line out, rear left & right, side left & right, and center/subwoofer.  I'd been using the line out for computer speakers.  Now I have the line out going to a stereo amplifier.  I want to have the option of using the external computer speakers too. 

I know I could do this with a splitter, but is there a better way?  I've tried the computer speakers in all of the other outputs.  I went to Control panel/sound/playback tab/speakers/configure.  I tested the speakers in all of the other outputs, and the test works.  However, the normal computer sound (which is now going to the stereo amp) doesn't come out of the computer speakers in any combination.

Is there a way to set it up so I can use either?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Lyon Soldado

Lyon Soldado

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:48 AM

Hey there, :guitar:

You might want to take a look here to see the visual instruction that can help you do it the right way.

This is a visual instruction so you can see clearly and follow the steps.

I hope this helps.

p.s post your final results back. I'd like to know this was helpful.

Good luck boddy..!

#3 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hi

If your system came with Realtek HD Audio, there is an option to play sound simultaneously through front and rear outputs. Usually this can be done by opening Relatek audio control panel and enabling the option "Disable Front Panel jack Detection".This will make the front and rear jacks play the same stream.

oLTrG.jpg

#4 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

AS far as I can tell, it doesn't have Realtek.  It says "high definition audio device" (built in to the Dell XPS 8300).  I looked under sound in the control panel, but I didn't find anything like the screen capture above.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hi

Your machine officially only supports "Windows 7" so the "Windows 8" installation is currently using the built in generic audio driver. I checked the driver download page for "Win 7" and there seems to be both "Realtek" and "Creative" audio drivers listed. As a test, i recommend downloading and installing the latest "Win8" version of Realtek driver from the below link. 

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#High Definition Audio Codecs

If the codec is a Realtek one, you will see "Realtek High Definition Audio" once the driver installation is completed and the system is rebooted. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 April 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#6 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

Yes, it came with Win7.  I installed Win 8 and 8.1 later.

#7 JudMc

JudMc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:05 PM

I'm downloading the driver now. Installing it can't hurt, can it?

--------------

OK, a 106MB download!  But now Realtek shows up in my control panel, and your suggestion pretty much does want I needed.  I now have the back line out going to the stereo amp and I have the computer speakers going into the "front" (actually it is on top on this machine).  After unckecking that option, now if I don't have the stereo amp on, I still get sound through computer speakers.  (Before if anything was plugged into the front/top it would cut off the back output.) 

The only drawback is that I used to have the speakers in the back plug in headphones in the front/top when I want to be quiet, and it would cut off the speakers.  Now I have to unplug the computer speakers to plug in the headphones, but that's not too bad.

-------------------------

Thanks everyone, especially Anshad.

Edited by JudMc, 16 April 2014 - 01:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users