Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Too Big For The Recycle Bin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whatapalaver

whatapalaver

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 19 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

A while ago I asked BP for advice about backing up a large Data Folder and, as a result of what I was told, I bought a 2USB external hard drive. I back up the Data Folder daily and the previous ‘old’ backup is then deleted. The Data Folder is 4.40GB, and growing.

Today I got this message when I went to delete the old backup.

>>>The Folder ‘My Data 20060519’ is too big for the Recycle Bin. Do you want to permanently delete it? YES; YES TO ALL; NO; CANCEL<<<

I opened the Recycle Bin icon and clicked Properties. There are two tabs.

Global, and Local Disc ‘C.

Local Disc ‘C’ shows the size of my hard disc. The Space Reserved was, [and still is], 3.99GB.

Global has a sliding scale. The pointer was on the first 1/10th so I have moved it to the 5th 1/10th, thinking that the Space Reserved will be increased and I will not get that message again. But I still get it.

I suppose I could ignore the message and click it’s YES and permanently delete the old backed up folder, but would that be wise? When I do that, the deletion goes at a cracking pace; much faster than before.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Best wishes, whatapalaver

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

If you have already created the new backup- then click "yes" to permanently delete the old backup.

You should be able to set XP's backup utility to do incremental backups though.

Incremental backups just modify or add data that changed and should not create an entire new backup each time.

It is also a good idea to use it to do a "System State" backup as well, in addition to your data backups.

#3 whatapalaver

whatapalaver
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 01:37 PM

Thank you. Will follow your advice.

Best wishes. whatapalaver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users