Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start... Help?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Anc96

Anc96

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:52 PM

I had some problems with this laptop in the past (inspiron14/win 7) and solved it by reinstalling windows. But this time it's not working. When I try to install windows I get a message to remove the disc and let windows start normally, then insert the disc. If I could get it to start normally I wouldn't need the disc.
The message i get trying to startup is: windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. Then it instructs me on how to boot from the windows disc... Which leads me right back to, I can't start windows!
I've tried repairing, I've tried reinstalling:(

This stared when I downloaded some programs that loaded other stuff, specifically snap.do, that I tried to get rid of. I did a restore to a couple of weeks ago.. And now this. The laptop has been fine for about 6 months or so, so the restore didn't bring it back to the old problems.
If anyone could give me a step by step help, I'd appreciate it. Just let me know what else you need to know. Tia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

can you start in Safe Mode? If it does not start in repair mode  can you get to repair my computer?

#3 Anc96

Anc96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

No to safe mode, though I can get it to those options. No matter what I choose safe/safe with command prompts/networking... It will start loading, stop and then a flash of blue screen. It was so fast I couldn't read it so I took pics of it repeatedly until I caught a pic of what it said. For viruses on your computer remove any newly installed drives or hard drive controllers. Then the least screen, It suggests I run chkdsk to check for hard drive corruption.
Of course I can't do that because I can't get it to a command prompt window anyway. Not that I would know what I was doing....
I've tried repair my computer, it says. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. And the. To fix the problem it tells me to use the installation disc.
And that leads to what I put above about removing the disc to let windows start normally.

*** forgive the typos. I can't type on this ipad to save my life!

Edited by Anc96, 15 April 2014 - 03:32 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:39 PM

If this is a Windows installation disc you may need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device and the hdd the second device.

To boot into Safe Mode press the power button and immediately start tapping the F8 key, continue to do this until you either reach the advanced boot options which looks like the image below...

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

...or the computer fails to reach it.

If you can't boot into Safe Mode try to do a Startup Repair.  The instructions below include a means of downloading a file (a ISO image) which can be used to create a bootable disc which you will use to run the Startup Repair.

Edit:  If you use a computer which is not running Windows 7 or Windows 8 you can not use the instructions for burning the ISO image to a disc.  If this is the case, let me know and I will post instruction for a program which will do this.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1a  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2a  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3a  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4a  In the image below you will see Dick] burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5a  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6a  After the image has completed being burned click on Close

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Edited by dc3, 15 April 2014 - 03:44 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

You posted while I was composing my post.  Please try the Startup Repair from the installation disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Anc96

Anc96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:30 PM

Sorry, I went to shower and cook.
I'd tried the repair option from the installation disc and that won't work either, it starts the "searching for problems, then stopped after a couple seconds giving me an error.
Since I had most of anything important backed up on an external drive, I decided to try the full install where it erases everything. Definitely not my first choice, but ok if it fixes this.
If I wasn't trying to save for a Mac for my daughter, I'd get a new laptop:(

#7 Anc96

Anc96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

Ok.. It's running nicely now.. but, why am I showing 2 drives and the main drive shows almost full! Didn't I just clear everything when I did a complete install? Or is that only with a reformat?  But still, I'm pretty sure the main drive wasn't anywhere near being in the red before. Now what did I do :(

I'd post a page shot but I can't figure out how to post an attachment.

One says OS(C:) and the other Recovery (D:). The OS is almost full.

#8 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

what does the blue screen say?

windows-vista_safe-mode2.png

instead of electing safemode, select disable automatic restart.

#9 Anc96

Anc96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:13 AM

The blue screen said "For viruses on your computer remove any newly installed drives or hard drive controllers......". but I'm passed that (see post #7). I chose to install windows, erasing everything, as most of my important stuff was backed up on an external drive. Now I'm having a problem with my OS drive being in the red, almost filled. I'm confused as to why. 

If you tell me how, I can post a screen shot of the drives. I'm sure I did something terribly wrong, so before I start loading stuff back on, maybe I can fix that?

I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me :)

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

Your computer has a second partition which contains the factory recovery files, I would be willing to bet that this is what you are seeing as another drive.  A separate partition will given a drive letter, so I can see where you would assume this to be a second hdd.

#11 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:41 AM

There should be a way to access this partition, usually by pressing f11 at the time you would normally press f8.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

There should be a way to access this partition, usually by pressing f11 at the time you would normally press f8.

That partition is the factory recovery partition.  You do not want to do anything with it.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Anc96,

click on the Start orb and then type diskmgmt.msc in the Search programs and files box.

You will see diskmgmt.msc above the search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

Make a screen shot of this and post it here.

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Another option would be to use the snipping tool to capture the image.  After capturing the image save as in pictures.  You can add the image as an attachment in your post.

#14 Anc96

Anc96
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hello. Thank you. I was looking at the tool bar above and couldn't figure out how to post the picture:)

Attached Files

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

The first partition has no drive letter assigned to it.  This partition is 39MB in size and appears to not be formatted.  The easiest thing to do here is to just leave it alone.

The E: drive can be ignored as well.

The D: drive is the recovery partition, don't do anything to this.

The C: drive contains the Windows operating system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users