Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU won't power on after shutdown/hibernation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Boooster

Boooster

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

Hi all,

I'm having an odd problem I would appreciate some insight to.  Built a new rig back 8 months ago; everything was working fine and dandy, when all of a sudden I can't turn my machine back on after a shutdown or it goes into hibernation.  I've tried cleaning for dust (there was a bunch), turning the PSU on/off at the back of the computer; no dice.  Checked inside the computer and cables all seem to be in place.  The only thing that works is to physically unplug the cord from my outlet and plug it back in - once I do that it fires up like normal (nothing over heating, no strange sounds).  But again, if it goes into  hibernation/shut down I can press the power button and nothing happens.  It doesn't turn on for a few seconds with a few beeps - it's as if the computer isn't plugged in at all.

Once I unplug-replug and use the computer everything works fine with no hiccups

Any insight would be much appreciated.  Build is below:

Win 7

MSI Z87-G65
SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Seagate Barracuda 1TB Serial ATA Hard Drive
SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt
Intel Core i5-4670K

Edited by Boooster, 15 April 2014 - 02:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:00 PM

Im leaning two ways here. One is, its a MSI motherboard, in my experience theyre natorious for failing. But that aside, Im leaning toward your power supply. That video card requires a minum of a 500 watt PSU-that one is 50 watts over, but depending on what other options you have installed. did you just list all parts you have in your computer, or just the important ones? how many fans are you running? optical drives? card readers?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Boooster

Boooster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 12:40 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I'm running stock fans, and the only other items I have hooked up are a 128 SSD and an CD-drive.  I can't imagine they take too much power as to be an issue.

I just tried this morning again (PC went into hibernation) and hit the power button.  Nothing happened so I left the room - when I came back in a few minutes later it was on.  Could it be out-dated BIOS?  I'll try updating when I get home later in the day in case that's the issue.  I checked the capacitorsand they look OK to me (will do a more thorough inspection later).

If it was a failing PSU wouldn't the computer shut down at regular intervals?  Once my PC is on, it runs fine with no hiccups (so far..).

Edit:  Shut down and it booted up no problem.  Tried another shut down immediately after the same problem persists (wont turn back on until I unplug-repluig)

Edited by Boooster, 16 April 2014 - 02:58 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

Do you have all of the correct drivers for power saving mode installed? Usually these are chipset drivers. If you do have all drivers installed correctly, I would try a different power supply first. I have seen psu's work fine when running but cause other problems on boot. Just last week there was this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/530673/asus-sabertooth-990fx-r20-boots-twice-need-help/ where the computer would boot, reboot and then run fine. A new PSU seems to have fixed the issue.

You should have onboard video, after testing with a different psu (if that doesn't fix the problem), my second test would be to take out the 7970 and try again with a different video card or onboard video.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

to answer your question there maybe nothing wrong with the PSU it just maybe overtaxed, or defective like zingo suggested, though I think I may try the video card test first simply because if you don't have another PSU laying around it would be cheaper to just switch to onboard or a older card first.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

One thing to note when switching to onboard: it does not use as much power so it may work fine but still be psu related. If you take the card out and everything is fine, don't be too quick to blame it on the card without testing with a different psu.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users