Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running Laserjet 5 in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

Hi, Everyone.  I have been warned by several computer friends that my home XP computers could be vulnerable and that I should upgrade to Windows 7.

Here’s my question: I love and run the old workhorse HP Laserjet 4’s and 5’s.  They are cheap and never break.  Does Windows 7 have the drivers for these old printers, and if not is there an app that can be loaded to run them in Windows 7?

Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

See here for LaserJet4 http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers/LaserJet-4-driver-for-Windows-7/td-p/230389

I'm sure if they did it for LJ4 a comparable solution exists for LJ5's

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:31 PM

It looks like the 5 is also supported but you may have to get a parallel add-on card if purchasing a new computer and not connecting up to a network. The drivers would be obtained through Windows update.

As a note: Your XP computer may not be able to run Windows 7 easily. Depends on your CPU and ram.

#4 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:33 PM

Thanks to both of you for responding so quickly.  I will look into this when I have more time.  Thanks for sending the links.

Is there a legitimate concern about security risks to one's banking and financial records while running XP?

Thanks Again,

EG

#5 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Not sure which particular version of HP Laserjet 4 & 5 you're using, but you should be okay, as I've been able to successfully use both Laserjet 5MP and 6MP printers with Windows 7.

Edited by Torvald, 15 April 2014 - 01:34 PM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:34 PM

Yes when you go to install the printer choose windows updates and it may take a few minutes but it will find the HP5 and 4 drivers.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,848 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:46 PM

There is always a security risk, probably more so with XP but you should be okay for a month or so. The sky will not be falling. After all, after the Heartbleed fiasco, you could be running any OS and still be vulnerable if the site was not patched and certificates updated.

But, yes, you should update to Windows 7 if possible.  I would recommend that you do not do any browsing in an admin account of XP. Do your browsing in a User Account. Keep your antivirus up to date and don't visit any shady sites or open email attachments unless you are sure of the person sending it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 April 2014 - 01:46 PM.

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

If it is an HP LaserJet that uses HP's PCL (printer command language) or even PostScript, then it will most likely work with newer versions of Windows as PCL (and PostScript) are very generic printer languages and tend to have constant support. As a result, HP's more "generic" drivers will typically drive such printers.

I have my trusty old LaserJet 6MP that works with all my versions of the Mac OS (tested up through Mountain Lion) and all my versions of Windows (tested up through Windows 8).

The trouble is when you get into some of the cheaper LaserJets that HP started making after the LaserJet 6MP that used more "specialized" drivers.

#9 EducatedGuess

EducatedGuess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:59 PM

Hi, Everyone.  Thank you so much for responding to my post, and please excuse my slow response back.  I have been dealing with a stomach bug the last few days and am finally starting to feel better.

All of the advice sounds great, and I will let you know how it turns out when I have a chance to hook it up.

Thank you so much.

EG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users