Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Updates Causing Shutdown/Restart Loop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DietSoda

DietSoda

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

I have had to reinstall Windows 7 three times because of this problem. It has to be the Windows updates because after a clean reinstalling of Windows 7, the computer works fine. I am able to download Norton 360, do a system restore disk, download Steam and some games. The next day I turn on the computer, it automatically tries to download and configure updates. It never finishes and it restarts. Eventually it tells me it failed to configure updates and I can get on it again. But Update indicates there are more than 20 or so "important" updates that need to be installed. I disabled automatic updates since the updates are what caused the problem. But I realize it can't stay this way. Eventually I will have to get some of those updates to operate the computer.

I want to consider a new operating system if there is no solution to this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:33 PM

Welcome,

Please do your reimage again BUT do all of the updates before you add any applications. 360 could be your one exception.

I think that once you have the operating system current, reboot and check for updates at least once after it says there are no more updates. You will be able to add your applications. If you haven't installed and activated 360, do so BEFORE installing any applications, games, etc.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:41 AM

FWIW:  You can always download critical updates by going directly to the Windows/Microsoft Update sites, there's no reason to rely on the auto-update function.

Louis

#4 Lou2

Lou2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

Just wondering if this fixed the problem as I am having the same issue after I did some updates and now it keeps shutting down. I have tried un-installing the updates but still the same issue. Thanks

#5 DietSoda

DietSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

The problem never was resolved. I ended up buying Windows 8.1 and just installed it on a new hard drive. It has been working fine so far. The problem may have been a bad hard drive. I presently only use the anti-virus that comes with Windows. No problems with that either. The updates are installing fine now. I am notified that their are update to install before shutdown and I install them without any issues.

Edited by DietSoda, 30 April 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for letting us know...if you have any problems, please post such.

Louis

#7 Lou2

Lou2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

This morning I ensured that all updates were downloaded again but was replying to you and it shut down again. Don't think it is the hard drive but ??? welcome any suggestions. I don't have a image of the disc to use as it has been so reliable........until now.

#8 Billbo100

Billbo100

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:40 PM

I am having the same problem.  I had some success downloading the upgrades one at a time but I still have one that will not work.

#9 DietSoda

DietSoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

When I was still using the old hard drive, I completely wiped it using DBAN then tried reinstalling Windows 7. There were still updates that would not install. I ran a program that analyzes hard drives and their were areas of the hard drive that had critical errors or critical sectors. I can't remember the program I ran to do this analysis or what the exact results were but apparently there were areas of the hard drive that had serious problems. That's why I gave up. I had to get my computer running again. Sorry I don't have more specific information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users