Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop restarting on boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:54 AM

Upon booting up my laptop (Toshiba Satellite Pro L300) this morning it restarted three times within a couple of seconds of pressing the on button, twice within a second of having selected the OS version at the blue screen and once when I was trying to write this. Jiggling the power cable doesn't seem to help so I don't think it's that this time. Within the past week or so I've upgraded from Ubuntu 12.10 to 13.10 and then down to the latest version of Peppermint when it could no longer cope with Ubuntu. The HDD is about a year old and I can't think of anything else which would cause this other than general motherboard failure. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

Can you boot the system from a Live CD/DVD?

Pick an OS ( You should have the Live disc that you installed from)

Set your pc to boot from CD/DVD in BIOS

And boot the PC and run it for a while then report back here please.

What I am trying to do is see if it is a hardware or software problem. Booting from live disc will tell us that.

Nick

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:14 AM

Unfortunately no, I don't have a working DVD drive. I did it off a USB stick but I've neglected to bring any of them home with me. I'll have to see if I can find an empty one somewhere and turn that into a bootable drive.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:16 AM

If the PC boots  From USB or DVD/CD and you can access the HDD back up any files that are important first.

Edited by NickAu1, 15 April 2014 - 06:17 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

There are benchmarking tools on the LIve CD/DVD to check the hardware on your computer to use.

As NickAu1 has stated, grab your important data first. Hardware can be replaced, lost data cannot be in many instances. If it is your HDD & you have a receipt, a warranty claim (RMA) can be done. Most HDD's has at least a 2 year warranty, though there are some that has less.

Has the CMOS battery ever been replaced? These do eventually die after years of use & can cause a lot of issues if no longer working. Some Toshibas has these soldered to the MB, making replacement difficult for the home user.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thankfully I changed the OS so recently there is no data on the HDD which only came with a year's warranty and it passed three months ago. The CMOS battery looks like the batteries in my Psion 5 so I might have a spare one somewhere to replace it with, see if that helps. If it's soldered to the motherboard I'll have to see if dad has any tools for removing it.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

One way to quickly rule out a bad CMOS battery, at least in an otherwise good working computer, is to remove all sources of power, including the battery used for power when used as a portable device. Wait a minute or two, then plug in the power cord only & fire it up. If the battery is bad, the BIOS settings won't hold & you'll know, at best it'll reset to default values. If good, it'll load as normal.

It makes no difference whether or not one's booting from a HDD/SSD or LIve DVD, partition/backup CD, whatever.

there is no data on the HDD which only came with a year's warranty and it passed three months ago

Shame on those HDD OEM's who only provides one year warranty. Until that flood a few years back, 2 & 3 year warranties were a given, premium WD models has carried a 5 year warranty for years. After that flood, I noticed many HDD's that were formerly covered 3 years as only 1. Oddly, I had two of the same HDD, the Samsung HD103SJ (highly popular in 2010/11). The 1st, was bought on the Newegg site & was backed by 3 years. The 2nd, bought on the Amazon site a year later (and less than 48 hours before prices jacked up), had only 1 year coverage, which I discovered only after registring it. I lucked up on the one from Amazon for $49, was still in transit to me when pricing doubled.

It was odd, that out of the 2 identical models, the warranty on the 1st purchased one lasted nearly a year after the 2nd one. Fortunately, both drives are still in use as backups & both are faster. quieter & runs faster than the Caviar Black with similar specs.

Hopefully, yours is still good & this issue can be resolved.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users