Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using Live Linux to clean infected Windows box

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Carter

Michael Carter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:01 AM

I see a lot of computers with nasty infections and this site has many great tools for fixing them, and many people who suggest a range of great techniques. Some suggest booting with XPud, some with Kaspersky or other rescue CD's. Some suggest trying to get into safe mode.

But I'd like an AV tool which I can run from my Linux Mint thumb drive, and which will fix infections on the Windows hard drive. I'd like it, because Linux Mint live seems to work on most machines, and it comes with text editors and other tools.

For example I have a new looking Toshiba on my desk right now, with the main Windows OS completely locked up. It won't start in safe mode, and it won't run the Kaspersky rescue CD in full mode or text mode, but has started just fine from my Linux Mint Thumb stick.

Of course I can inspect the main drive and look for suspicious folder and files, but I'd like to find something a bit more systematic.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Michael Carter, 15 April 2014 - 03:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:39 AM

Avast - Avast is a freemium antivirus software. Avast is not open-source and uses up resources like RAM. Many users feel that Avast offers more protection than ClamAV. The paid version of Avast offers numerous features that ClamAV lacks. For instance, Avast can sandbox applications. To obtain Avast, visit avast.com and download the application.

AVG - Anti-Virus Guard is a proprietary virus scanner that can be downloaded from free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-alf.

Comodo - Comodo is a proprietary scanner that can be downloaded from comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php.

Kaspersky - Kaspersky is a proprietary scanner that can be found on this link - kaspersky.com/product-updates/linux-file-server-antivirus.

Having shown you some of the AV's that should work with linux, I do not know enough about the subject to give you any advice on malware removal or how effective it may or may not be.

This is a subject for the Malware Response Team.

Edited by NickAu1, 15 April 2014 - 06:20 AM.

#3 Michael Carter

Michael Carter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for that Nick. I'll have a look and a play. We use LM at home for almost everything, and just keep a couple Windows boxes for MS Access, and that sort of thing.  Ultimately I'd like to ween the family off Windows altogether, but it might be hard as long as Aus Government schools remain wedded to MS software.

As for the one on my desk right now, it seems to have been locked up by AVG, so I think I'll post a question on the AVG boards and take it from there. :)

Edited by Michael Carter, 16 April 2014 - 02:52 AM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

Ultimately I'd like to ween the family off Windows altogether, but it might be hard as long as Aus Government schools remain wedded to MS software.

I live in a small town, One of the local "hippie type" schools came to me last year about going Hi tech ( lol) so I introduced the students all 60 of them to Linux. Puppy, Lubuntu, Unbuntu, And Kubuntu, It was fun installing all those OS's, Then updating them, Then making sure they all connected to the WIFI, These kids mostly never used a PC they are all 8 to 10 years old, So the switch was easy as they were not microsofted YET.

You will not find a Windslows PC in my house.

Windows is something that came with my new laptop that I removed from the HDD kinda like you remove BloatWare, Oh hang on it is bloatware LOL

Edited by NickAu1, 16 April 2014 - 03:09 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

As for the one on my desk right now, it seems to have been locked up by AVG, so I think I'll post a question on the AVG boards and take it from there

AVG has always had it's spells, when it's good, it's good for a couple of years. On the other hand, when it's bad, it's horrible. I cannot even count the number of computers that AVG had crippled & after removing it & replacing it with Avast or MSE, most ran great. Most were XP machines, but some were Windows Vista & 7 too.

One of the things that I dislike the most about AVG is the extra software, the inbuilt "tune up" utility, which can cause issues with many computers, as there is a registry cleaner component. Other than it's ups & downs, that's why I don't use nor recommend the security brand to anyone.

We use LM at home for almost everything

So do we! 3 LM installs & another one soon to come, as soon as Mint 17 LTS (RC) is released.

Have you considered ClamTK? It installs & runs on LM quite well, I run it 3-4 times a week. Depending on your version of Mint, right underneath Downloads, the 1st set of links, you need the 3rd or 4th option. If you're running Mint 15 or 16, it'll be the 3rd.

http://code.google.com/p/clamtk/

I've used ClamTK for years, this is more recent than what's included in the Software Manager.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users