Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver for dell multimedia keys on keyboard??

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hathlov

hathlov

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:08 AM

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a pickle and need some advice!
So I have a dell inspiron 1525 laptop with media keys (previous, stop, play, pause etc) on the top of the keyboard and they're touch sensitive and have LED lighting. 
Basically, they're spazzing out. I've never even used them! So when I'm listening to music, the keys will stop, pause, skip, mute etc all on their own. 
I simply just want to disable them, so I'm assuming there's a driver for them I can remove. Problem is: I can't find said driver. And believe me, I've looked. 

Any ideas?

thanks ladies & gents!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:16 AM

It might be an actual application that supports those keys... HP do that.

I don't know for sure though mate.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

I believe it is just basic functionality built-in to Windows that supports those type of buttons on keyboards (i.e. volume, pause, play, forward song, back song). I don't ever recall installing drivers for those types of functions. I only recall installing drivers/programs for programmable buttons (i.e. to launch applications or enable macros, etc).

I suppose you could try booting into Safe Mode than then playing music and seeing those keys work. If yes, then it is likely built into Windows and it might mean that there is a hardware issue…if so, then the only potential option might be to see if there is a BIOS setting that allows you turn them off. If those keys don't work in Safe Mode, then it likely means there is some Dell driver or application that is loading into memory.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:38 AM

I have many times in the past gone on the Dell site punched in the build number for the computer and let dell inspect the machine then down loaded what was needed thus far pretty fool proof.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users