Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing from Xp to Linux

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Fixing1

Fixing1

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:15 AM

Hi all, I would like to change my OS from Xp to Linux but I'm not sure which one would best suit my computer. I have read that Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 32-bit would work but I'm not 100% sure. Could anyone lend me some assistance :)

My computer Acer Aspire One acer AOA150 - 1283

My Speccy http://speccy.piriform.com/results/1MSYCzn3LzZkxKWd8S5Uw8c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

Yes it would work. 32bit Linux Mate is also very nice and would also work on your machine, it is quite Windwsesque and great for first time Linux users.

Puppy Linux would run faster on your machine as it has a much lighter footprint (don't be put off by the name), having 1 GB of RAM only you may find the others are not super speedy whereas this option would be.

If you need any help with set up/installation feel free to ask... There's loads of people here more than happy to help.

Welcome to the Dark Side of the Force. :luke:

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:45 AM

+1 for TsVk

Lubuntu, Linux Lite. Puppy, are all good, Puppy would be Ideal but its the harder of the distros to master.

Have a look at this. Yes its 3.8 GB download but remember this there will be nothing you need to add to it, Just update and away you go.

https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_precise-5.7.1-retro-fatty-2014-jan-csipesz

NO NO NO TsVk, Windows is the dark side, We are like the Jedi.

mbu0pu.gif

Edited by NickAu1, 15 April 2014 - 06:14 AM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:54 AM

The victors write the history.... lol

#5 Fixing1

Fixing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Only if you let them write it......lol. The pen is mightier, I say!

Which version of Puppy would you 2 recommend......I can't pick :( because I'm just not sure.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Lucid 5.2.8

#7 Fixing1

Fixing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Really? and will I be able to install it so I have the option of dual boot off my machine? 

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

yes.... you can even save it on an SD card and run it off that if you feel like it.

If you feel a little unsure there is a .exe installer at the bottom of this page that you can just point and shoot to install next to your Win OS.

#9 Fixing1

Fixing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:04 PM

Thank you for the reply TsVk!

And using the EXE installer will allow me the option of booting into either XP or Puppy. And installing this way, will it cause data lose?

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:35 PM

You will get a boot option screen by installing this way, every boot... Just look at the picture on the site where I guided you.

Normally no data loss. But I highly recommend backing up any essential files, as this will create a new partition on your hard drive and there is always some risk associated with this.

Edited by TsVk!, 15 April 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#11 Fixing1

Fixing1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 350 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

Ok. I was able to download the lucid puppy. I couldn't find an option for wifi, where is that? Also, I booted it up and it wanted to save directly into my hard drive should I do that or try to save it in the partition that stores the windows XP? Also, how do I get all the dat from my XP over to Puppy?

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

It needs to save data into it's own partition, it is an OS system after all. Linux can see your XP drive/partition though, so if you need to bring data over just navigate to the data and cut paste where you want it. (or you can use the data where it is if you like)

Here's the thing with Linux. You need to learn to use Google, I won't be here to hold your hand forever, and the OS isn't weighted down with assistance like help boxes and Wizards. It is surprisingly easy to configure once you do it, but the instructions are not on the box, you need to use the community http://murga-linux.com/puppy/ or use Google.

So, say for example you want to set up wifi on Pupppy you Google "Puppy Linux set up wifi", or you want to find out how to install a program, Google "install program Puppy Linux", other tips you may actually want to do now include "turn firewall on Puppy Linux" and "update Puppy Linux". All of these topics will have their own threads at the community though, just browse through you will be overflowing with ideas in no time. (make sure you find out about the software repository, you will like that :thumbup2: )

Once you learn one distro, the ease to use for many will open up for you. :guitar:

Edited by TsVk!, 16 April 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

I couldn't find an option for wifi,

Go to menu/setup and look for the internet connection wizard.

When the box opens select the wired or wireless lan button.

The network connection wizard will open select the SNS button.

Simple Network Wizard will open.

There should be 2 options the eth0 and wlan0 click the wlan0 and let it scan for your network.

When it finds it enter your password and remember to select wpa then hit connect.

booted it up and it wanted to save directly into my hard drive should I do that or try to save it in the partition that stores the windows XP?

Are we talking about the save file? you can save that anywhere like a USB, Small partition or on your c/drive.

If you are saving to USB i suggest you install puppy to said USB and create a save file on the USB. then you cam boot any pc from that USB ( provided you comply with UFEI if any by turning it off if needed on a host machine.).

Also, how do I get all the dat from my XP over to Puppy?

in the bootom left hand corner you should see a drive called sda or sda1 thats the C/drive look in the doccuments folder.

NOTE deleting any files on sda drive eg windows files may break windows. So be carefull there.

Edited by NickAu1, 16 April 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:50 PM

You are very kind Nick. :notanangel:

edit: (did you google that info?) just kidding mate...

Edited by TsVk!, 16 April 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:55 PM

(did you google that info?) j

Originally yes I did when I first started linux I used Google and youtube.

EG.

http://youtu.be/u5L58SxEqdE

Connecting with Puppy Linux

http://youtu.be/ltZt5JhyUXM

Edited by NickAu1, 16 April 2014 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users