Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble ejecting external HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xfrk

xfrk

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:17 PM

I was recently given a 1TB external hard drive by a friend.  I opened the files and listened to some of the music, then exited  Mediaplayer and tried to disconnect the hard drive.  I'm running Windows 7.  The computer says that something is accessing the HD and it cannot be disconnected, also to close any programs that might be interacting with the device.  I cannot find anything open that could be using the HD.  I have iTunes, but have not attempted to transfer anything to it, yet.  Any advice or ideas?  rk 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

It could be anything, anti-virus, Windows Explorer, and so on.  Unless you need to eject the drive while it is on you can perform a shutdown on your machine and then remove the drive after the machine has powered off.  You can also try waiting for a period of time, five to ten minutes, to ensure it isn't a caching issue.

#3 xfrk

xfrk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:35 AM

Both of the times that I have installed the HD, I've had to shut down to remove it.  Could iTunes be accessing the files automatically?  What really bothers me is my inability to discover exactly what's happening.  Anyway, thanks for the response.  rk 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

It might be that somehow Windows is set to index that external drive. I don't believe it should do this by default, but maybe it got turned on for the external drive some how. The following link will show you how to check what is getting indexed (and add other locations to the default ones) to see if it has been added somehow:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-file-search-indexing-options/

The other possibility might be if you opened a Windows Explorer window for a location on the drive. I forget if that essentially keeps Windows "accessing" the drive, thus preventing it from being unmounted.

Edited by smax013, 16 April 2014 - 08:05 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:45 AM

Have you preformed a full scan with your AV?  Would be good to run SAS and Mbam could be something on the drive.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users