Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

old tower replacement motherboard question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bslevin

bslevin

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hello,

I have an old Full tower that I want to rebuild...

it originally has an Intel d875pbz motherboard, my only question is how do I choose a new motherboard that will fit the same ports on the back of the motherboard to line up with the ports on the back of the case?

I haven't worked much with full tower cases in a loooong time and I am not sure what type of motherboard to get to fit the tower case

Any help would be greatly appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

IMO get a newer well ventilated tower, there are some extremely good offerings for decent money.  Your biggest challenge is deciding exactly what you want out of your new rig, it always ends up with one thing leads to another.  Figure out what your budget needs to be then shoot for the biggest bang for your buck.  A new MB will come with the back plate, most all will fit all towers.

Edited by OldPhil, 14 April 2014 - 09:46 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

when you purchase a new motherboard you get a port cover to suit the port connections.it just clips in place on the back of the tower

you can ge a full size board or a smaller one these  fit the tower you just change the position of the  stand off lugs

to suit the m/board. also would recommend a new power supply if you want to keep the tower in use.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

If you are using a standard full ATX case, standard ATX motherboards should work.  However, some cases use BTX and those would not work.  Which case do you have?

3939.png

#5 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:24 PM

I would go with the guy who recommended getting a new case... Modern cases are far superior to even the ones made 4 or 5 years ago, at least in terms of keeping the parts cool, airflow flowing, and making sure the case is designed in such a way that life is made easier for the builder. They aren't crazy expensive, either (at least, not all of them). Corsair makes several cheap, quality cases in several different sizes. I also know a number of NXZT fans...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users