Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting a Dual Fan CPU Cooler on Asus M5A78L LE

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lucasbceo

lucasbceo

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hello,

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 412 PWM, wich is a CPU cooler with two fans, and a Asus M5A78L LE motherboard.

Img_4240.jpg

j0eidUF.jpg

I connect one of the fans on the CPU FAN connector, and the other I have to connect on the Chassis Fan connector.

The problem is the motherboard automatically sets the rotation speed for the CPU fan according to it's temperature, thanks to the Asus Q-Fan technology, the primary fan works nice, but the secondary fan is always at 100%.

What should I do?

Thanks!

Edited by lucasbceo, 14 April 2014 - 07:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:34 PM

I wonder if you can get away with pairing them together.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Use a Y connector to connect them to the CPU fan header. surprised they didn't bundle one with the cooler really. You can buy them, for example this http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Tek-Sleeved-Splitter-CPF01/dp/B00B46XKKQ/ref=pd_cp_pc_0

Edited by jonuk76, 14 April 2014 - 09:30 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 lucasbceo

lucasbceo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:56 PM

@jonuk76

Sweet! I'll get one tomorrow

@OldPhil

jonuk76 came up with a improved version of your theory lol

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 April 2014 - 05:17 AM

No problem :)  Something to note is that when doing this with PWM fans, only one fan should have the RPM sensor wire connected to the motherboard.  Otherwise the motherboard will get the RPM signal from both wires and will get weird fan speed readings.  The Silverstone splitter cable is wired like this already.  When looking I found another that wasn't and comments in the Amazon reviews said it had to be modified to work properly (snipping the RPM feedback wire on one fan).

Here is a diagram illustrating that I found :

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?2480-PWM-Fan-Pinouts-Industry-Standard-amp-Dell-configurations

pwmsplittersmall.png

Edited by jonuk76, 15 April 2014 - 05:19 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users